Hi / Hello [inappropriate?]

Terrorizer

Polish
My teacher at university is saying to me "hi".
Im answering to him "hello" because i think it sounds more propriate.
But is it actually wrong to answer this way? or should i say "good morning" or "good day"?
He is a mature native English speaker, and I am just learning younger guy. I wonder how should I behave in this situation :D

Last edited:
  • It's perfectly fine to reply with either "hi" or "hello". "Good morning" is okay too, but people often just say "morning" when they walk past each other. I'm not sure about "good day". It sounds more similar to "good night", something you say when parting with someone.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    These days, "Hi" and "Hello" are used interchangeably informally when greeting friends or people you know fairly well: whichever you use is largely a matter of personal preference. "Good morning" has more of a formal tone to it, while I get the impression that "Good day" isn't used much in modern BE.

Terrorizer

Polish
    "Good day" is a phrase that I have heard in some youtube blogs.
    All I am asking about is showing a big of respect to my teacher. And im not sure if im disrespecting him by saying "hi" or "hello" just like him

sdgraham

USA English
    "Good day" is a phrase that I have heard in some youtube blogs.
    All I am asking about is showing a big of respect to my teacher. And im not sure if im disrespecting him by saying "hi" or "hello" just like him
    I can only comment from my standpoint as a grumpy old American, but to me, "respect" is a two-way street and you, as a human being, are equally entitled to it.

If anybody (and I do mean ANYBODY) says "hi" to me, I have no qualms about using it in return.

(don't forget the apostrophe in "I'm" :))

Good luck.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, all. I have a specific situation: About three to four customers (they are from one company) came to visit our company. I often exchange emails with two of them, but haven't met any of them before. Our driver drove them to our company and they were waiting in a room . I came into the room (they may be having coffee, or talking, or being on their laptops..or whatever) and first wanted to greet to them. Is it polite if I say "Hello, everyone" or "Hi,everyone" Does it sound condecescending or something? What would you usually say in this occasion. Thank you . I want to make sure of this, because I see the below link , where some native speakers regard "Hi there" condescending. http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/hi-there.2306076/

JustKate

"Hello, everyone" and "Hi, everyone" are fine. In fact I am having a very difficult time imagining anything else that you could say. There's absolutely nothing wrong with "Hi, there" either. I am absolutely baffled as to how anyone can consider it "demeaning" or whatever.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I don't think "Hi" is demeaning but in a business situation like the one xuliang described, where you are meeting people for the first time, I would keep it more formal, at least to start. I'd say, "Hello, everyone," or "Good morning, everyone."

< Previous | Next >