Hi, my name is Sophie, and I am going to play Le Coucou

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Sophi3, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Sophi3 New Member

United States
    Hi all. I play the piano and before I perform, I need to say a short speech announcing the full title and the composer. Because the composer and the title are in French, my instructor told me to say the whole thing in french.

I need to translate:

"Hi, my name is Sophie, and I am going to play Le Coucou (rondeau pour le clavecin) by Louis Claude Daquin"

I took very basic french, but this is what I guessed it would translate to (I bolded the part that I'm not sure of it):

"Bonjour! Je m'appelle Sophie, et je vais jouer Le Coucou (rondeau pour le clavecin) de Louis Claude Daquin.

Also...exactly how would I pronounce "clavecin"? Would it be like: klah-vih-ke (with a nasal "n")?

Merci!

2. Auryn

Auryn Senior Member

London
    France, French
    You can type your sentence and hear it spoken by a French person here :)

Edit: your sentence is perfect, by the way!

3. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    "Bonjour! Je m'appelle Sophie, et je vais vous jouer Le Coucou (rondeau pour le clavecin) de Louis Claude Daquin."

Your sentence is perfect already, but you can add vous, meaning "for you".

I would pronounce "clavecin" as 2 syllables, with the second "c" pronounced like an "s": klav-saint (the "t" is silent).

4. michelle ma belle New Member

Quebec City, Quebec
    Canada, english
    If you are translating to english, you should say "I am going to play the harpsicord," not the clavecin.