Hi vs Welcome

dim75c

Russian
Hi, could you please help me to feel the difference between 'Hi' and 'Welcome'?

Let's say I create my profile in a job search site. In the top of the page nest to the profile photo, there is a summary text block, looking like a short motivation message.

Can I start this block with:
Welcome and thank you for taking time to look at my profile...
or
Hi and thank you for taking time to look at my profile...

Is there any specific difference between two?

All the best

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Nor would I use "Hi" in anything meant to attract people. I'm not even sure about '"Welcome'" but I don't know enough about on-line profile styles.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I wouldn't use either (and I don't know much about those styles either).

Welcome is used when someone is arriving at a place you own or are a part of. That is true in some sense on your online profile, but if you don't own the site the profile is on I would say that "welcome" is not the right word. On your own website, it would be perfect. Hi is too informal. If you want to make a greeting, my advice would be to use "hello".

kentix

English - U.S.
    He's filling out a standardized form to display his resumé online on a pre-existing job search site. There is a pre-defined space for a personal message.

sdgraham

USA English
    He's filling out a standardized form to display his resumé online on a pre-existing job search site. There is a pre-defined space for a personal message.
    Ahh ... to me, "welcome" is out of place since "welcome" is usually wished to incoming people.
    Here, it's like greeting somebody by saying "good bye.":D
    "Hi" is bad manners and counterproductive as others have said.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    This is more of a cultural question than a language question. Therefore, the correct answer depends on the culture of the person who will read this job profile.

In the U.S., business culture is to get to the point as quickly as possible. Any introduction such as the suggestions in the original post, brand a person as inexperienced (or perhaps from a different culture). People who read this profile want to hire a person like this, and they want to waste as little time as possible in doing that. Just write the profile, nothing more.

In other cultures, that might be rude.

< Previous | Next >