Hidden Wealth

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This expression refers to projected social status, that there is often more than meets the eye.
Hidden wealth refers to people who, when you see them, you would not think they are rich, but in actuality they are very rich. For example, a man who wears poor clothes and ripped jeans, but even though most people think he is poor, he is actually a millionaire.
<...>
Как сказать по-русски?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Maroseika

Russian
    You may say он прибедняется, if someone is lying he is poorer than in effect. But if this is just a style of his life, his attitude of mind, if he really doesn't care of demonstrating his richness, for such person, I think, there is no special word or set expression in Russian.
    So you may describe such person like: он не выставляет своего богатства напоказ, не кичится богатством, состоятельностью etc.

Budspok

Russian-Lübertsy
    To my mind прибедня́ться sits pretty well here.
    Example: У самого в гараже Майбах стоит и два Феррари, а он прибедняется, разъезжает на ржавой Тоёте.

Maroseika

Russian
    To my mind прибедня́ться sits pretty well here.
    Example: У самого в гараже Майбах стоит и два Феррари, а он прибедняется, разъезжает на ржавой Тоёте.
    Yes, in this context прибедняться fits well. But if someone doesn't want to overpay just to show off his richness, doesn't buy luxury things using things even though can easily afford them, прибедняться is not right word, to my opinion.

Awwal12

Russian
    Yes. I'd say прибедняться implies downplaying one's wealth or capabilities (mostly, bot not necessarily, in speech) in order to create a false impression and likely to get some benefit from that.

A sidenote: Тойота is traditionally spelled with йо.

veklingua

Russian
    I can't think of a set noun phrase for this in Russian. To me such person оr people would be described as Держащие свое состояние (богатство, деньги) в секрете, likely used аs the verb phrase ("Он держит свое состояние в секрете.") Other alternatives: Не афишировать ("Они разбогатели на бирже, но никогда этого не афишируют."); Не выставлять напоказ; Не кичиться (archaic and hardly ever used anymore); Держаться/жить скромно/как все ("Он держится очень скромно, никто не скажет, что он - миллионер.")

Корейко? Is this a reference to the county of Korea, or Koreans?
    It's a reference to a character from the famous novel Золотой Теленок by И.Ильф и Е.Петров. I wouldn't personally use it, however, as it has certain bookish and satirical connotations.

< Previous | Next >