hide in the puckies

jacdac

Lebanese
Henry spent that day hiding –hiding in the puckies beside Route 9. Sometimes he slept. Sometimes he lay watching police cruisers slide by like hunting dogs. While the Losers ate luch, Henry listened to voices from the moon.
Source: It by Stephen King

What does puckies mean?

Context: Henry had run away from the mad house where he was incarcerated.

Thank you

• Copyright

American English
    Possibly "horseshit." "Horse pucky" is a known expression. It could be like "cowpat," where the animal is removed and what's left behind is pluralized.

It's not the first time King has used it:

"He realized with sudden, perfect clarity that he was never going to see his wife and sons again.
    'I believe you,' he said.
    'The drop your gun in the puckies and let's go.'
    Alan did as he was told."
    - The Dark Half, Stephen King.

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    I've never heard this word before. But one listing from Urban Dictionary suggests it means an area with brushy vegetation:

Urban Dictionary: puckah brush

The author of the UD listing identifies as someone from Maine -- so maybe this is a Maine regionalism?

waltern

English - USA
    I've never heard this word before. But one listing from Urban Dictionary suggests it means an area with brushy vegetation:

Urban Dictionary: puckah brush

The author of the UD listing identifies as someone from Maine -- so maybe this is a Maine regionalism?
    Agreed, "ditch on a country road" ("beside Route 9") seems to make sense here (for anyone reading the thread who does not know, Stephen King is from Maine.)

Copyright

American English
    In penance for guessing wrong, I've submitted a new entry in Urban Dictionary – my first entry. :) They're reviewing it now.

Copyright

American English
    Who knows, if I don't know the difference between "submitted a new entry in" and submitted a new entry to" – thanks for quoting so I can no long look intelligent. ;)

Copyright

American English
    I'm apparently not an Urban Dictionary Guy – which can only be good news. My definition below was rejected:

puckies

Stephen King's shorthand for puckah brush, already in the Urban Dictionary ...

puckah brush
    random brush and undergrowth (occasionally littered with stickers and snakes) that you don't want any part of.
    AKA ditch on a country road
    He hit his golf ball in the puckah brush or he was drunk and launch'd his truck in the puckies

The author of the puckah brush entry is apparently from Maine, and Stephen King was born in Maine.

Sources

"Henry spent that day hiding – hiding in the puckies beside Route 9. Sometimes he slept. Sometimes he lay watching police cruisers slide by like hunting dogs. While the Losers ate lunch, Henry listened to voices from the moon."
    Source: It by Stephen King

"He realized with sudden, perfect clarity that he was never going to see his wife and sons again.
    'I believe you,' he said.
    'The drop your gun in the puckies and let's go.'
    Alan did as he was told."
    Source: The Dark Half, Stephen King.

But in their rejection note, I did discover they rate highly for humor.

Here's their submission guidelines and acceptance criteria.

< Previous | Next >