hides roguery under the registered comfort of a priest's connivance

vadoncha facratoff

French
What does 'hides roguery under the registered comfortt of a priest's connivance' mean? It's Hiberno-Englsih and I read this in O'Casey Time to go play. Thanks.

• sophie_t23

English (U.K.)
    Hi :)
    'hides roguery under the registered comfort of a priest's connivance'
    This sounds like quite an old-fashioned phrase!

Without any more context, to me it sounds like it means that the priest is uses his slyness (which as a priest, he is able to get away with) to do roguish (i.e. bad) things.

Hope that helps!

Sophie_t23

timpeac

English (England)
    We'd really need much more context - what was happening before and after - and a full sentences. Who are we talking about here?

vadoncha facratoff

French
    The character speaking is an Irish merchant. he's talking to a lady who's passing by and making remarks about him and his pal, another merchant, saying that people say they're full of rogueries. He wants her to leave. Here's the full senetence:
    "An' with me fond farewell, let you tell all you meet that Bull Farrell hides no roguery undher the registered comfort of a priest's connivance, havin' refused to sanction th' givin' of ad libeetitum donations for th' period of sinny quaw non!"

MichaelW

English (British)
    Please can you explain a little more about the plot? I can't find the text or any plot summary on Google.

I read it that the lady has accused Bull of financial roguery, and that he accuses her in turn of some meanness carried out under the cover of the church, of hypocrisy as well as roguery. The "registered comfort" being the official respectability of some priest or church figure who has worked with her ("connivance") to refuse some charity or donation.

If you could explain more of what the lady has done in the play, it would clarify things.

Last edited:

vadoncha facratoff

French
    The lady -Widda Machree - is just passing by. She's lost her husband and is carrying a sin with her. That's what she tells our two merchants, she also tells them about their reputation. That's pretty much it. I think I understand more what it means now thanks to your analysis.

< Previous | Next >