higgledy-piggledy

sophie3210

France and French
Hi,

I looked up the word but I couldn't find a translation fitting my context. The word is juxtaposed to "stairs", which are raced up by two children.

"higgledy-piggledy stairs" : this cannot be "escalier en pagaille", can it ? (nothing is said as to whether there is objects on the stairs !)
Do you know another meaning to the word ?

Thanks for comments :)

• mdb

UK English
    Hi Sophie. It doesn't refer to objects on the stairs, it just means that they are irregular and uneven, perhaps because they are old.

ajparis

American English
    It is a wonderful expression that you hardly here any more! Normally it preassumes different objects strewn here and there in no order, I doubt it would have to do with the condition of the stairs. If there are really no objects it might have to do with the path the children ran, not directly up but here and there.

sophie3210

France and French
    It is a wonderful expression that you hardly here any more! Normally it preassumes different objects strewn here and there in no order, I doubt it would have to do with the condition of the stairs. If there are really no objects it might have to do with the path the children ran, not directly up but here and there.
    That's what I thought at first, but the text says 'the higgledy-piggledy stairs", so I assume mdb is closer. Thanks anyway for your input :)

< Previous | Next >