high gods of medicine

JackReacher

Czech
Hi everyone,

I´m reading a book "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and there is used a term "high gods of medicine"

I know what the term (collocation) means but I would like to know if is possible to use this term for a meanings "modern medicine"

with love Jack

• JamesM

Please provide us with the full sentence containing "high gods of medicine" along with a sentence or two beforehand and possibly the sentence following. You are allowed to quote up to four sentences from original to provide context for your question.

JackReacher

Czech
    "As long ago as 1860 it was the proper thing to be born at home. At present, so I am told, the high gods of medicine have decreed that the first cries of the young shall be uttered upon the anaesthetic air of a hospital, preferably a fasshionably one."

that´s enough?

Loob

English UK
    It seems to mean simply "the medical authorities". Using the phrase "high gods of medecine" is poking fun at the authorities, implying that their pronouncements have godlike force - or that they think themselves godlike:)

No, you couldn't use it to mean "modern medecine", unless perhaps you were poking fun at modern medecine too.

< Previous | Next >