high-level (home appliance)

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, is it natural or possible to use "high-level" as a synonym for "high-quality", "high-performance", or "high-end"? (I don't think so, but I thought I should ask just in case.)

Please see these examples I created.

"This high-level washing machine has several advanced features that allow you to..." (TV commercial)
2. "High-level air purifiers are really expensive, but I really want one." (Forum post)

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Hi, is it natural or possible to use "high-level" as a synonym for "high-quality", "high-performance", or "high-end"?
    Gosh! Not at all, I should say. With the washing machine, I took it to mean elevated, to make it easier getting the clothes in and out.

Note that "high performance" is not the same as "high quality"/"high end". I don't think people buy Rolls Royces for their performance.

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you both very much for the replies.

Note that "high performance" is not the same as "high quality"/"high end".
    That's right. I was wondering if "high level" could possibly mean any of those, since we Japanese sometimes use it (English phrase "high level") to mean high quality.

sdgraham

USA English
    That's right. I was wondering if "high level" could possibly mean any of those, since we Japanese sometimes use it (English phrase "high level") to mean high quality.
    Possibly:confused:

The human mind is incredibly powerful and is able to decipher all kinds of expressions used by babies, learners, the uneducated, etc.

But if you're asking whether it ever should be used in that context, the answer is still NO.

meijin

Japanese
    I used "possibly" to mean "perhaps" or "by any chance". It's not my fault these two words are listed as synonyms for "possibly" in dictionaries.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Your use of “possibly” was fine, meijin. :thumbsup:

And I agree that “high-level” doesn’t work. :(

Orble

Australian English
    “High-level” would be understood in a cheap TV ad context but is hardly idiomatic.

“High-end” is common here and “high-quality” works too, but as Uncle Jack says, “high-performance” often implies something different.

Andygc

British English
    “High-level” would be understood in a cheap TV ad context but is hardly idiomatic.
    Not even in the most badly written and cheapest TV ad in Britain. A "high-level air purifier" would be mounted on the ceiling. I can't imagine what a "high-level washing machine" would look like.

< Previous | Next >