High school for adults

Lems

Brazil - Brazilian Portuguese
I wonder what is the name of a high school level evening course attended by adults, who did not have the opportunity to study when they were young, or just dropped out before conclusion.

Thanks in advance.

Lems

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Lems said:
    I wonder what is the name of a high school level evening course attended by adults, who did not have the opportunity to study when they were young, or just dropped out before conclusion.

Thanks in advance.

Lems

Hi Lems;
    I can only talk for Canada..here it is called " Continuing Education"..
    te gato;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Lems said:

Thanks in advance.

Lems

Oi Lems!

The suggestions offered by Te Gato and Gaer are correct, but are very generic. They may refer to any course of study, including recreational topics.

I don't think we have a specific term for a program leading to a high school diploma for adults except what is known as a "high school equivalency " degree program.

um abraço,
    Cuchu

gaer

US-English
    cuchuflete said:
    Oi Lems!

The suggestions offered by Te Gato and Gaer are correct, but are very generic. They may refer to any course of study, including recreational topics.

I don't think we have a specific term for a program leading to a high school diploma for adults except what is known as a "high school equivalency " degree program.

um abraço,
    Cuchu
    I was thinking along the same lines. I think it is usually necessary to get a "GED" (Graduate Equivalency Degree) in order to take college courses. I don't think we have any set term for what adults do who want to take course to learn more when they are not trying to get a degree (or another).

Gaer

Narda

Guatemala
    I also was going to suggest the GED. Continuing education sometimes covers subjects that are of general interest like Bonsai, languages, painting...

jacinta

USA English
    In California, there are continuation high schools that are normally administered through the adult ed department. They are for people who haven't graduated from a regular public high school.

gaer

US-English
    jacinta said:
    In California, there are continuation high schools that are normally administered through the adult ed department. They are for people who haven't graduated from a regular public high school.

Could you explain a bit more about how they work? Do people work on high school level subjects without getting a GED?

Lems

Thanks guys

So, Adult Course for Graduate Equivalency Degree would be somewhat understandable?

In Brazil it is called Educação para Jovens e Adultos = Education for Youngsters and Adults. The degree is implied.

Best

Lems

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Lems said:
    Thanks guys

So, Adult Course for Graduate Equivalency Degree would be somewhat understandable?

In Brazil it is called Educação para Jovens e Adultos = Education for Youngsters and Adults. The degree is implied.

Best

Lems

Oi Lems,
    You have highlighted the key distinction. In EEUU the degree is NOT implied.

I am comfortable with your suggested phrase.

um abraço,
    Qxu

jacinta

USA English
    gaer said:
    Could you explain a bit more about how they work? Do people work on high school level subjects without getting a GED?

Oh, no,no,no. I should have finished the thought. They are only for people getting their GED. I don't think they would bother if they just went for the love of learning :rolleyes: .

gaer

US-English
    jacinta said:
    Oh, no,no,no. I should have finished the thought. They are only for people getting their GED. I don't think they would bother if they just went for the love of learning :rolleyes: .
    Ah, I see. I also don't know if it is possible to take college courses without a GED. :)

jacinta

USA English
    Wait. Let me correct that. I suppose someone could take a college course without a GED or H.S. diploma for no credit, just for the fun of it. I don't know that for a fact. :)

gaer

US-English
    jacinta said:
    Wait. Let me correct that. I suppose someone could take a college course without a GED or H.S. diploma for no credit, just for the fun of it. I don't know that for a fact. :)
    I took course meant for getting a degree long after I had one, purely for the fun of learning something new. Now I'm wondering if I would have been allowed to take those courses with college transcripts, or at least proof of having completed high school.

Gaer

Lems

cuchuflete said:
    Oi Lems,
    You have highlighted the key distinction. In EEUU the degree is NOT implied.

I am comfortable with your suggested phrase.

um abraço,
    Qxu
    So let it be.

Muito obrigado e um abraço, Qxu! :)

Lems

mjscott

American English
    Washington State. Co-student in teacher program. Mexican woman, directora of a girls' school up through sixth grade in Guadalajara, Mexico. Went back to school for graduate medical classes before coming north with her husband. Had to get her GED before they would allow her to take any college course. Go figure.

DesertCat

inglese | English
    I believe you can take one class without a GED or HS Diploma (at least in Oregon). I took a course at the communitiy college when I was in high school so I could graduate early. If you want a two-year degree at a communitiy college the rules may be different. I imagine the rules vary among schools.

mjscott

American English
    In the US:
    Part of the nickel-bee (NCLBA) (No Child Left Behind Act) includes Running Start--which allows high school students to take college courses while they are in high school for both high school and college credit. My daughter was 17 (turning 18 that summer) and graduated one weekend from high school, and the next weekend from a 2-year college, ready to start her junior year in a four-year college.

In order to take advantage of the government paying for your schooling at a college, I think you have to meet the following criteria:
    Be matriculated in a local public high school
    Pass an entrance exam demonstrating your readiness for college course
    work.

As homeschooling has been on the rise in the US, my cousin enrolled her son at the local high school just so that he could take the college courses and have his education paid for him (you still have to pay for the books).

Lems

Thanks you guys.

Lems

gaer

US-English
    mjscott said:
    Washington State. Co-student in teacher program. Mexican woman, directora of a girls' school up through sixth grade in Guadalajara, Mexico. Went back to school for graduate medical classes before coming north with her husband. Had to get her GED before they would allow her to take any college course. Go figure.
    Wow, that is WEIRD…

gaer

US-English
    DesertCat said:
    I believe you can take one class without a GED or HS Diploma (at least in Oregon). I took a course at the communitiy college when I was in high school so I could graduate early. If you want a two-year degree at a communitiy college the rules may be different. I imagine the rules vary among schools.
    Think about it. Isn't curious that IF you take one course, on a college level, and do very well, you would not be allowed to continue taking others? I mean, that would be sane! (But when has any school system made sense?)

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    In my personal opinion..I think it all has to do with Money..at least here in Alberta it is very expensive to go to school..and even more when you get into "continuing" education corses and so on....It is sad when a person wishes to up-grade, or even learn more and they can not due to funding.:(

te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    te gato said:
    In my personal opinion..I think it all has to do with Money..at least here in Alberta it is very expensive to go to school..and even more when you get into "continuing" education corses and so on....It is sad when a person wishes to up-grade, or even learn more and they can not due to funding.:(

te gato;)
    And in my case my job stops me from taking courses. I don't get finished until 8 PM, and I have to work on Saturday.

That's why I'm here. It is the only place I can learn without paying big bucks or skipping work. :)

Gaer