High-tolerance wash base

< Previous | Next >

sarii

Finnish
Now it's time to discover Extra-gentle lipid-enriched liquid soap!
Its high-tolerance wash base rich in lipid-enriched agents ensures optimum protection of your skin.

Could someone explain what the phrase in bold means? I don't understand what it means if a sopa has high-tolerance wash base. Thank you!

• Starfrown

English - US
    "wash" here is essentially equivalent to "lotion" and is functioning as an attributive noun modifying "base." I think the sense of "base" being used is:

"a: a main ingredient <paint having a latex base> b: a supporting or carrying ingredient (as of a medicine)" (Merriam-Webster's)

I'm not sure to what exactly it has a high tolerance.

I would just like to add that most likely no one who buys that soap has any earthly idea what precisely is meant by that phrase. It's a common strategy in product design, I think; they decorate the packaging with vaguely scientific, vaguely positive language that no one really understands. They're just hoping that some of their buzzwords will draw you in.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The soaps and skin care products that are advertised as "high tolerance" seem to be sold to people who are concerned about skin sensitivity or allergies to cleaning products. In this case "high tolerance" is a peculiar way of saying that most people's skin will be able to tolerate the soap. It's odd, because the soap is being "tolerated", but "tolerance" usually relates to what is doing the tolerating, in this case, the skin. "Highly tolerable" or "widely tolerated" would be closer to ordinary usage.

I agree with Starfrown's description of the use of this sort of terminology.

Edit for clarification: "Highly tolerable" would sound peculiar in this context, and I can see why they wouldn't want to use it. I only meant that it fits better in terms of meaning.

Last edited:

Starfrown

English - US
    The soups and skin care products that are advertised as "high tolerance" seem to be sold to people who are concerned about skin sensitivity or allergies to cleaning products. In this case "high tolerance" is a peculiar way of saying that most people's skin will be able to tolerate the soap. It's odd, because the soap is being "tolerated", but "tolerance" usually relates to what is doing the tolerating, in this case, the skin. "Highly tolerable" or "widely tolerated" would be closer to ordinary usage.
    Yes, I was uncertain as to whether the soap itself had a high tolerance to something (the most logical reading based upon the grammar), whether it were designed to impart such a tolerance to the user, or whether it were highly tolerable (the most logical reading).

< Previous | Next >