highlight a football game

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone!
In one of the episodes of CSI an owner of a beauty salon is interrogated. She is in a hurry, saying:
"Will this take long? I've only got one girl covering at the salon, and she couldn't highlight a football game, I swear."
I believe this is some double-entendre which I can not translate into Czech, anyway. But I am afraid I am still not getting the meaning. I think one "highlight" is "hairdresser creating highlights" but what does "highlighting a football game" mean?
Please, help.

• Barque

Tamil
    Yes, it's a play on highlights (on hair). She's saying the girl at the salon is so incompetent she can't do even a simple thing like describing the highlights (the main moments) of a football game.

The two "highlights" are different but the intended meaning is that the girl at the salon is incompetent/inexperienced.

Edit: She might also mean that the girl couldn't highlight (choose) a game she wanted to play on a video game (which would be an even simpler thing to do).

Last edited:

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Thank you, Barque, for your explanation. In my translation, I will replace it by some other colourful Czech idiom for incompetency, then.

< Previous | Next >