highway connecting Miskolc <with> the Slovak border.

flyingcat2008

china,chino
Halmaj, with its 1,800 residents, is a small grid of streets lined with one-story homes with peaked, red-tile roofs beside the narrow trickle of the Barsonyos River. It lies just out of sight of the main highway connecting dour, industrial Miskolc, Hungary’s third-largest city, with the nearby Slovak border.

From New York Times: Work-for-Welfare Gains a Foothold in Hungary Hi, everyone!

I wonder "with" is modified to Halmaj or to " Hungary's third-largest city". I often puzzled by preposition position...

Thanks~

• boozer

Bulgarian
    There is a highway that connects Miskolc with the Slovak border. Halmaj is near that highway, but you cannot see it from the highway.

flyingcat2008

china,chino
    Thanks~ You mean the Miskolc is connected by the highway to the Slovak border?? I still don't understand..:eek:

Is the position roughly like this?

...........................(connected byHighway)
    Miskolc---------------------------------------- Slovak border ( I understand Halmaj's direction. so no explaination for Halmaj is ok)

Thanks

Andygc

British English
    Yes

Miskolc <<<<<<< the connecting highway >>>>>>> the Slovak border

-----------------------Halmaj

boozer

Bulgarian
    I cannot draw it for you, Flying. My browser will not let me format my messages. If you imagine a road, you must understand that, roughly, it is a straight line. Halmaj is near the road but if you are driving on the road, you cannot see Halmaj. You cannot see it probably because it is behind a hill or a forest or something else, i.e. there is something between you and Halmaj that blocks your line of sight.

< Previous | Next >