Hillary was an enabler

< Previous | Next >

jeanvanier

Albanian - Kosovo
"I don't really care about Monica Lewinsky, other than I think that Hillary was an enabler."(Donald Trump)

This one is really inane but after a bit of research I still don't get what is going on here, so could someone just spell it out for me please? Thanks

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    An enabler is someone who helps someone else do something (usually bad). Hillary Clinton regularly covered up for the sexual escapades and assaults of her husband, Bill Clinton. Monica Lewinsky was a White House intern who had sexual experiences with Bill Clinton while he was president.
    Those are the basics. You can probably find several million pages about it if you Google "Clinton Lewinsky". (9 million+ pages, I just checked)

If you need more help with your quote you need to give us a link to the source.

jeanvanier

Albanian - Kosovo
    An enabler is someone who helps someone else do something (usually bad). Hillary Clinton regularly covered up for the sexual escapades and assaults of her husband, Bill Clinton. Monica Lewinsky was a White House intern who had sexual experiences with Bill Clinton while he was president.
    Those are the basics. You can probably find several million pages about it if you Google "Clinton Lewinsky". (9 million+ pages, I just checked)

If you need more help with your quote you need to give us a link to the source.
    Yeah I'm over the basics; this standalone quote was pulled out of context and put into a piece of coverage regarding Trump's attack on the Clintons during the 2016 race, no other relevant contextual information whatsoever

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's a relatively new or newly popularized (several decades) social use of the term.

An enabler is someone who makes someone else's bad behavior possible or easier, while not participating directly themselves.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Sometimes the "enabler" participates directly: for example, if a carer or spouse of a morbidly obese person provides them with all the food they demand, they are "enabling" them in their food addiction.

I don't imagine Trump was suggesting that Hillary actively provided Bill Clinton with nubile females, as an enabler might supply their friend or relative with the addictive substance of their choice, but perhaps that she condoned his behaviour and let him know that she wasn't going to expose him.

Forero

I doubt President Trump is trying to be accurate anyway. No one knows his true motives, but I think he has latched on to "enabler" as a kind of insult, not as an accurate assessment of anything.

< Previous | Next >