Hindi: चटयल

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
Hi,

I was looking for the word chatyal 'bare, bleak, desolate' in my Hindi dictionary but couldn't find it. Is it not spelled चटयल?

Thanks!

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    No, this is not the usual spelling — if you look for चटियल instead you might very well find it there.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    I already tried that. The Oxford Hindi-English Dictionary doesn't have it! I might have to try more combinations. I remember I was shocked to see the word chitaan 'a crag' spelled चट्टान.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    No worries since you already know the meaning, otherwise you might wish to consider trying a different dictionary.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi,

I was looking for the word chatyal 'bare, bleak, desolate' in my Hindi dictionary but couldn't find it. Is it not spelled चटयल?

Thanks!
    चटियल caṭiyala वि० [देश०] अनावृत । खुला हुआ । जिसमें पेड़ पौधे न हों । निचाट (मैदान) ।

Hindi sabdasagara.

चटियल chaṭiyal (a) bare, barren.

A Practical Hindi-English Dictionary

Interestingly, Platts spells it as चटयल and Urdu LuGhat has the spelling corresponding to it. چَٹْیَل

H چٿيل चटयल ćaṭyal, adj. Bare, bleak, desolate: — ćaṭyal maidān, s.m. A bare level plain.

A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

I already tried that. The Oxford Hindi-English Dictionary doesn't have it! I might have to try more combinations. I remember I was shocked to see the word chitaan 'a crag' spelled चट्टान.
    In Urdu, both "chaTaan" and "chaTTaan" are used. I was n't aware of the "chiTaan" possibility as well. No doubt, you will be telling me that along with this, "chuTaan" is also a variation on the theme!:)

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Sorry, you're right; it's chataan, not chitaan. But I've never heard chattaan before.

Qureshpor

And I've never heard "chaTaan" before in Hindi - though, if it exists in Urdu, then some Hindi speakers also must be using it.
    Interesting. chaTTaan is attested in Platts, McGregor, Cahurvedi and shabdasaagara.