Hindi: मुझसे बात करें हिंदी में बात करें

bizco

Australian English
मुझसे बात करें हिंदी में बात करें

Translation please into english.

If I had a sign that said "talk to me"

is this the best translation for "talk to me " into hindi

regardless of who is saying (gender) this and to who it is being said too.

male/female or a group.

It looks like it repeats but I know nothing about Hindi.

• panjabigator

Am. English
    It makes sense to me, but it is kind of a run on.
    You are saying "talk to me talk to me in Hindi." How about just saying मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये. Saying "talk to me in Hindi" should be sufficient.

Is it the best translation for "talk to me?" Well, I am not too sure. You are employing the subjunctive mood here for a polite command, करें, which works fine, but I would probably say something like किजिये instead. I don't really have a substantial reason why. If you have a copy of Rupert Snell's Teach Yourself Hindi handy, I'd check it out. It gives a pretty decent explanation of when to use this form for commands.

Commands function according to formality and not gender. So you are fine. For a group, it depends on how formal you want to be. For most informal, say तुम लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात करो. For formal, try आप लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये.

I'd be happy to explain anything further if it's not clear. Where did you get this phrase from anyway? Are you a learner of Hindi? I presume you are because there is no romanization;) (I hate romanization!) Or is this just a casual phrase you're learning.

bizco

Australian English
    panjabigator

thanks for the reply.

Its funny how many hindi speakers there are and so few on the forums.

all I need is "talk to me" translated and मुझसे बात करें हिंदी में बात करें
    was something somebody translated for me as I asked for lower case and upper case translation and hindi.

Ithought it might be the case but could not find a repeat of words so was not sure and to me the word hindi = हिन्दी

which did not look like any of the words as the closest one did not have the hook that is in the middle of the word.

could you please tell me what you mean by

मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये which I assume is talk to me in hindi

what is the difference between तुम लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात करो and आप लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये

If I had a sign that said "talk to me" in hindi in a market in India somewhere then which translation would you recommend based on cultural differences.

panjabigator

Am. English
    Just a quick note. Mozilla doesn't display Hindi properly for some people, like myself. View this post in IE if you can (or if you can learn to get used to weird looking Hindi).

Its funny how many hindi speakers there are and so few on the forums.
    You're telling me! It is quite annoying that there are only two or three regular posters on this site that speak Hindi. Considering the demographics, there really should be more. One would think there are more language lovers out there. I digress.

all I need is "talk to me" translated
    मुझसे बात कीजिये
    /mujhse baat kiijiye/
    /mujhse/-to me
    /baat kiijiye/-please talk

The verb of the sentence is /kiijiye/ [which can also be writtin as /kiijie/ (कीजिए) with no Y] and it means 'to do'. The term please is inherent in the verb conjugation. /baat/ literally means "talk."

मुझसे बात करें हिंदी में बात करें
    was something somebody translated for me as I asked for lower case and upper case translation and hindi.
    I don't understand what you mean by upper and lower case. Hindi doesn't have any. Anyway, I commented on this translation in the last post.

Ithought it might be the case but could not find a repeat of words so was not sure and to me the word hindi = हिन्दी
    which did not look like any of the words as the closest one did not have the hook that is in the middle of the word.
    Good eye! Hindi has two acceptable spellings. One is with the curvy hook you see here, and the other is with a dot (called a bindi) on top of the line. One is हिन्दी and the other is हिंदी. They are both equally common. Use either one.

could you please tell me what you mean by

मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये which I assume is talk to me in hindi
    I mean "please talk to me in Hindi."
    what is the difference between तुम लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात करो and आप लोग मुझसे हिंदी में बात किजिये
    Formality. तुम लोग /tum log/ is "you all" informally. आप लोग is "you all" formally. Use the second one.

If I had a sign that said "talk to me" in hindi in a market in India somewhere then which translation would you recommend based on cultural differences.
    Oh boy, I included the words "in hindi" in your translation. Did you not want those...:eek:
    If I had a sign, I'd just say मुझसे बात कीजिये. It's the politist.

Hope this helps.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Panjabigator has given a great explanation. I don't have much to add, except "talk to me" on a sign in India would most likely be मुझसे बात कीजिए (mujhse baat kiijiye) :)

panjabigator

Am. English
    माशा अल्लह तुम वापुस आये! बड़े दिनॊं से सोच रहा था मैं कि पता नहीं तुम दिखाइ क्यों नहीं दे रहे हो online आजकल.

macta123

India,Hindi
    There was a missing "Comma" --- If there is a comma it will make sense.

Mujhsey baat karein = Do talk to me!
    Hindi mein baat karein = Talk in Hindi.

Both are in a way of giving orders.

bizco

Australian English
    What I have at present is

मुझसे बात करें
    but what I want is to ask politely and not as if I am giving an order. Also I don't want it too long.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    But haven't we established that the politest way would be to use "kiijiye"?

Hence it would be "mujhse baat kiijiye"

panjabigator said:
    माशा अल्लह तुम वापुस आये! बड़े दिनॊं से सोच रहा था मैं कि पता नहीं तुम दिखाइ क्यों नहीं दे रहे हो online आजकल.
    हाहा. मैं साउदी जाने वाला था लेकिन विज़ा का मस्ला हो गया था. और वैसे भी मैं कामो मे काफी मश्गूल था. :D

< Previous | Next >