Hindi: मेरे लई के

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

I am having some difficulty with this seemingly simple chorus of the song "Dua Karo", from the upcoming dance film "Street Dancer 3"
There isn't much context to speak of. The singer regrets having alienated his close ones, and asks that "today someone pray for him".

aaNsuu tham jaae mere
baat sun le vah xudaa ...
[Chorus]
ke aaj koii duaa karo mere laii ! (repeated several times)

Is "ke aaj" in this case a shortening of "aaj ke din"?
And what on earth is "laii"? An alternative spelling of "mere liye"?
Or are the 3 words related?

Please orient me.

PS: I want that ke to be कि, but not a single lyrics site agrees with me :(

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Is "ke aaj" in this case a shortening of "aaj ke din"?
    No.
    PS: I want that ke to be कि, but not a single lyrics site agrees with me :(
    The lyrics sites go with what they can hear in this case. Unfortunately the e-sign they use is long e, not a short one. Hindi spelling is कि indeed, but I think most BW film songs are either in Urdu or often have an Urdu touch to them, and this might be the reason for their ke instead of ki. Just speculation.
    And what on earth is "laii"? An alternative spelling of "mere liye"?
    Argh, how to tell you, it must be that it was supposed to act as Punjabi lacing... in addition to Urdu. I think they could have got their inspiration from somewhere these both are spoken and wanted to express it somehow, otherwise I can't see rhyme or reason for 'laii'.

Disclaimer: I'm making these comments without having listened to the song under discussion.

desi4life

English
    Hindi कि is supposed to be pronounced with a short “i” and is correctly pronounced in the song. But many Hindi speakers in casual conversation pronounce कि the same as or almost the same as की, so when the correct, careful pronunciation of कि is used, for example in this song, it is sometimes mistranscribed as के on song lyrics sites.

< Previous | Next >