Hindi: ab hai jo hai voh samaa hai

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

I am having a little trouble translating these simple lines, from the song "Jeet", by the Indian electronic musician "Ritviz".
The song has simple words but it gets sort of abstract.
In the song's video clip, 3 girls from humble social extraction take a short break from their jobs and go on an outing, enjoy themselves with simple things.

At some point, the song goes [1:07]:

shab hai jo hai voh samaa hai
tum rah sakii toh rabbaa hai
ab hai jo hai voh samaa hai

I gather that the general idea is "what matters is now", "seize the present moment", etc
But I am confused by the words "jo" and "samaa" specifically.
Are they being used as "if" and "contained", respectively, or as "what (relative pronoun) and "uppermost, sky, top" respectively?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    I've also been enjoying listening to Ritviz lately :) That being said, these lines are not super coherent for me, though maybe someone else has a good interpretation. Generally speaking, I don't think Ritviz's lyrics do much beyond establishing a general ambience (as is the case with techno in other languages). It's all about dropping that beat :p

The samaa, I think, is this one:
    H سما समा samā [S. समयः], s.m. Time, season; season of plenty, season of greatest abundance or prevalence; plenty, abundance; opportunity; — state, condition; concord, harmony, unison; — scene, landscape, view: — samā bāṅdhnā (-), To make a picture or representation (of), to represent; — to act, sing, or play in concert, to produce harmony; to be in concert or harmony: — samā pānā, v.n. To find or get an opportunity.
    That being said, I don't really know how to grammatically parse ab hai jo hai wo samaa hai. It's probably saying something along the lines of "the (only) thing that exists now is samaa" (so the jo is a relative pronoun), but then it seems like the first hai is sort of extraneous, so I don't know. Maybe he just threw in a nonsense word to keep the rhythm he was envisioning?

FWIW, it also sort of sounds to me like he says rabaa with a non-geminate /b/ rather than rabbaa in the second line. But I don't know any word that sounds like rabaa except rabbaa, and this isn't the only instance of a mispronounced* word in Ritviz's music that I'm aware of (in the song "Barso," there's a peR that sounds an awful lot like piiR around 0:43). All of that being said, tum rah sakii to rabbaa hai is still sort of a non sequitur. If you're able to stay, then god exists...?

[*]: To be fair, these "mispronunciations" may actually be distortions related to autotune...? I don't know.

littlepond

Hindi
    It is hard to say what the line means, it does not seem very grammatical. It could mean something like "ab hai, jo bhii hai, voh hii samaa hai", meaning whatever is now, that's the atmosphere (basically: let's enjoy the here and now).

littlepond

Hindi
    That song is notoriously absent from lyrics translation sites for a reason.
    I don't think that the absence of the translation of a song by Ritviz is such a remarkable phenomenon as to be categorised under "notorious," @MonsieurGonzalito jii. If a Rafi or Mukesh song had been absent from translation websites, you could have called that absence as notorious.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I don't think that the absence of the translation of a song by Ritviz is such a remarkable phenomenon as to be categorised under "notorious," @MonsieurGonzalito jii. If a Rafi or Mukesh song had been absent from translation websites, you could have called that absence as notorious.
    Well, now that you mention it, translations of "धीरे चल, धीरे चल, ऐ भीगी हवा" or "ओ, ले के पहला पहला प्यार" are "notoriously absent" too :)
    People go only for the easy ones nowadays, it would seem ...

desi4life

English
    On a side note, shouldn’t his name be Ritvij ऋत्विज, since it’s a Sanskrit word? I wonder how Ritviz came about. 🤔

littlepond

Hindi
    On a side note, shouldn’t his name be Ritvij ऋत्विज, since it’s a Sanskrit word? I wonder how Ritviz came about. 🤔
    I think that might be just the name he performs under; his real name may be different. Maybe, "Ritviz" has a more whizzy, trendy feeling as a word? Most followers wouldn't think of what word exists and what doesn't.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I think that might be just the name he performs under; his real name may be different. Maybe, "Ritviz" has a more whizzy, trendy feeling as a word? Most followers wouldn't think of what word exists and what doesn't.
    I believe it is his actual name. Apparently, his full name is "Ritviz Srivastava"

If they're absent, that indeed should be called notorious.
    scratch O Leke Pehla Pehla Pyar Lyrics Hindi | ओ, ले के पहला पहला प्यार lyrics

< Previous | Next >