Hindi: BC, MC

albondiga

English/USA
OK, so I didn't spell out the words in the title of this thread because I know they are quite vulgar, and I think I know their literal meaning... In case it is not obvious, I picked up these words from a certain song that was recently quite popular among the younger generations in India; these two words make up the refrain at the end of the song... if someone thinks it is acceptable to post the full words they can post them below, or if no one knows what I am talking about then I can post them below myself...

Anyway, I was wondering two things about these words:

(1) How vulgar are they? What would be the equivalent in English? Do these more or less correspond to the use in English of m*****f***** or are there closer equivalents?

(2) How would these be used in context? For example, are they words you would scream out if you hit your finger with a hammer? Are they words you would yell at an acquaintance who was making you extremely angry? Would they ever be used among young people in a joking manner between good friends (as many vulgarities are in English)?

Thanks...

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    I think I know which words you're talking about. These, right? :arrow: benchod, maachod (highlight them)

These words are, quite frankly, VERY offensive words and I wouldn't recommend you to use them EVER. They even SOUND awful. They are completely taboo. To answer your questions:

How vulgar are they?
    VERY (like I said)
    What would be the equivalent in English? Do these more or less correspond to the use in English of m*****f***** or are there closer equivalents?
    I would say m****** f***** would be a good equivalent, yes.
    How would these be used in context?
    Oh dear.. I can think of MANY situations in which people would use it :D Some people even use it in a joke-y way, which is just.. well I hate it :p
    For example, are they words you would scream out if you hit your finger with a hammer?
    I can imagine someone using it then, yes :D
    Are they words you would yell at an acquaintance who was making you extremely angry?
    Yes, if you really were that angry!
    Would they ever be used among young people in a joking manner between good friends (as many vulgarities are in English)?
    Yes it can be actually. Some Indian men use it often without them even thinking it's really a "swear" - I hate that. For example:

"I went to the shop today and [BC] I just couldn't what I wanted"

It shows that you're a bit peed-off, in a sense.

We could analyse this all day, but in a nutshell, it's a really bad swearword which I recommend you NEVER use :p, but like a lot of swears in English, some people use them in their speech which makes them seem very vulgar to be honest.

albondiga

English/USA
    Thanks, very helpful... you obviously got the right words!

...note that I wasn't planning on using these words myself, as I generally don't use these types of words much even in languages that I CAN speak :D... and I most certainly cannot speak Hindi at this time (at least not more than a smattering of words)... I was trying to understand better the attitude of the people who pointed me to the song in question when they talked about the song... obviously some of the hubbub around the song just had to do with the subject matter, but even these young people seemed to think the repetition of these words was absolutely shocking... it was kind of a strange cultural thing for me, because hearing a word like m*****f***** in a song definitely wouldn't give the average American youth such a reaction...

< Previous | Next >