Hindi: Fold/Crease (noun and verb)- What is the Hindi equivalent of तह/शिकन?

Aryaved

USA
Marathi, Hindi
Hi folks, I was just wondering what the Hindi equivalent of fold (as in wrinkle in a piece of cloth).

If wrinkle is सिलवट or सिकुड़न or झुर्री, then what are the verbal forms of a fold in Hindi (from Urdu there is तहाना, तह करना, तह लगाना or शिकन पड़ना) as in to fold clothes (and in the same vain or fold a piece of paper, or fold something over something)?

-चिपटाना?
-मोड़ना?
-लपेटना?

• desi4life

English
    Hi folks, I was just wondering what the Hindi equivalent of fold (as in wrinkle in a piece of cloth).

If wrinkle is सिलवट or सिकुड़न or झुर्री, then what are the verbal forms of a fold in Hindi (from Urdu there is तहाना, तह करना, तह लगाना or शिकन पड़ना) as in to fold clothes (and in the same vain or fold a piece of paper, or fold something over something)?

-चिपटाना?
    -मोड़ना?
    -लपेटना?
    Well, तह, शिकन, तहाना, तह करना, तह लगाना and शिकन डालना (शिकन पड़ना would mean "to be creased/wrinkled") are Hindi. I understand the intent of your question, but it would be linguistically more accurate to ask for Indic equivalents of Perso-Arabic terms rather than Hindi vs. Urdu, as there is a considerable degree of overlap between the two languages.

I agree about सिलवट डालना and another option is चुन्नट डालना

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    Aryaved said:
    … I was just wondering what the Hindi equivalent of fold (as in wrinkle in a piece of cloth). …
    bal, silvaT
    Aryaved said:
    ...then what are the verbal forms of a fold in Hindi (from Urdu there is तहाना, तह करना, तह लगाना or शिकन पड़ना) ...
    kapRe tah lagaanaa - kapRe lapeTnaa
    shikan paRnaa - bal paRnaa, silvaT paRnaa

duhraanaa is also present (depending on context).

amiramir

English-USA
    Two things:

1) for posterity's sake, there is a related thread here

2) when you are in water too long and your skin gets wrinkled, do we also say: mere khaal meiN (par?) silvateiN haiN? or is there something more idiomatic?

Thank you.

amiramir

English-USA
    Thanks, @Qureshpor ! Learnt a new word. Pls do correct me if I am wrong, but I will assume jhurii is the word for a wrinkle on skin in general (on faces, etc.) Out of interest, why wouldn't you use khaal above? Does it not fit the context?

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Sorry to chip in but if you're learning this as a new word, it's better you learn it without a typo which has crept in above, "wrinkle" is झुर्री جھُرّی jhurrii.

littlepond

Hindi
    For me, "jhurrii" is only used for a wrinkle got with old age, diseases, etc., not because of staying under water for too long. I would use "sikuRan" or "bal" for the water case.

HindiMurkh

Hindi & Gujarati
    I am a little late to this but, my family and people around me always used kapRe sametna. When I look up sametna on Google it says to "crush" yet if you were to look up "kapRe sametna" it comes up with "folding clothes". Maybe someone can expand on this discrepancy.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am a little late to this but, my family and people around me always used kapRe sametna. When I look up sametna on Google it says to "crush" yet if you were to look up "kapRe sametna" it comes up with "folding clothes". Maybe someone can expand on this discrepancy.
    You are right about folding clothes (kapRe sameTnaa). But I think the thread is about a fold, a wrinkle etc

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    I wonder if just lakiir would also apply for the skin, as in

duaa meN jab maiN haath uThauuN / dekhuuN tujhe lakiiroN meN

or that would only apply to the lines of the hand, in a destiny/palm-reading way

bakshink

punjabi
    khaal is not ok in Hindi or I would say it is crude although " Khaal udhedna" , " Baal ki khaal untaarna" are used as phrase. Proper word for skin is twacha त्वचा. Even chamdi चमड़ी though used is avoided in good script. Khaal actually is used in context of skinning the animals or when speaking of the animal hide. Folding the clothes is कपड़े तह करना | Whether it is from old age or because of staying in water, wrinkling of skin is झुरियाँ, I don't know of another word. समेटना is used in context of finishing the work. I don't think kapade sametna can be used for folding the laundry.

littlepond

Hindi
    ^ "khaal" is very commonly used in Hindi; of course, it is also used for animal skin. "chamRii" (which gives "chamRaa" - leather) is the more common word for animal hide - though also used for people's skins sometimes (e.g., when a teacher whips someone).

As for "kapRe sameTnaa", that's a very common Hindi phrase, as is "kapRoN kii taih karnaa". "sameTnaa" does not have just the exclusive meaning of finishing one's work.

< Previous | Next >