Hindi/Gujarati: Is there hope for us?

• albondiga

English/USA
    Hindi: /kyaa hamaarii liye koi aaShaa hai/. You can also use the word /ummiid/ in place of /aaShaa/.

1) Is the "koi" necessary? If so, why? Does it change the meaning?

For some reason, my (still-in-the early-stages-of-learning) mind would have instinctively put "koi" in there if the English sentence was "Is there any hope for us?" but would have left the "koi" out if I would not have said "any" in the English sentence. The difference between the two English sentences is a very slight nuance... does any such nuance exist with the word "koi" in this sentence? Or does it have to be there? If not, then I presume that you included it because that's the way it would most naturally be said in Hindi; is this correct? (It does sound better, even to me, with "koi"... :))

2) Also, "hamaarii liye"? Dienst is male, shouldn't it be "hamaare liye"? Or am I totally missing something here?

panjabigator

Am. English
    Superb! I actually translated what I thought I saw. Since there is no "any" there should be no /koi/. And I don't know what I was on when I wrote /hamaarii/. Definitely should of been /hamaare liye/

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Like panjabigator, "koi" is the equivalent of "any". In Devanagari script: क्या हमारे लिए आशा (or: उम्मीद) हैं? The bit in brackets says "ummeed".

Gujarati: આપરી માટે આશા છે? /aaprii maaTe aaShaa Che?/

aaprii - us
    maaTe - for
    aaShaa - hope
    Che - is