Hindi: Inflection of भाई-बहन

< Previous | Next >

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
Hello,

How should some compound words, such as भाई-बहन be inflected?

It seems sometimes both parts are declined, sometimes the second part only.

Version #1 (2nd part only is declined)
Oblique: भाई-बहनों
Vocative: भाई-बहनो

Version #2 (both parts are declined)
Oblique: भाइयों-बहनों
Vocative: भाइयो-बहनो

You can find cases of both on the Internet. Both paradigms are valid? Which one is better or sounds more literate?

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I will try to answer this.
    I believe your question can be divided in 2 parts:

1) Is there any genera rule as to whether or not inflect the individual parts of a composite word?
    2) why the variability observed in bhaaii-bahan specifically?

In answer to 1), I believe no global rule can be extracted. Hindustani is know to allow inflection in both terms of a composite word, but there are too many variables, for example:

- are both words of the same semantic level?
    - do they participate in a fixed construction requiring specific inflections?
    - do they exist independently in the language?
    - are they imports from another language?
    - if so, since when? have they been "hindustanized" enough?
    - do speakers often use those two particular words as a composite word, or is it an infrequent, ad-hoc union?

So, I believe the decision of whether or not to inflect both members is a totally idiomatic, case-by-case one. Moreover, I would assume the same goes for any language even modestly inflected.
    For example, in English, by what "rule" would you chose to say "brother-sister relation" versus "the relation between brothers and sisters"?

In answer to 2), the only thing I can say is that sometimes the hyphen is not so much a joining device but an abbreviation for " ... aur ...".
    A quick Internet search shows that "भाइयो-बहनो" is used for example at the beginning of several political speeches, addresses, etc, equivalent to "Friends", "Ladies and Gentlemen", "men and women", etc.

So the variability between bhaaiii-bahnōN and bhāiyōN-bahnōN could be that, in the first case, it is used as a real conjunct, say, "bhaaiii-bahnōN ke pyaar" and in the second case it is simply an abbreviation of "bhāiyōN aur bahnōN".

asam kr bhaaiiyoN-bahnoN Darne kii zaruurat nahiiN hai ...

The brothers and sisters of Assam need not fear ...

These are just common sense assumptions. Competent speakers please correct me.

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    Thank you, MonsieurGonzalito. I can't say yes or no, since I don't know enough but I appreciate the answer. It makes sense.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hello,

How should some compound words, such as भाई-बहन be inflected?

It seems sometimes both parts are declined, sometimes the second part only.

Version #1 (2nd part only is declined)

Version #2 (both parts are declined)
    Oblique: भाइयों-बहनों
    Vocative: भाइयो-बहनो

You can find cases of both on the Internet. Both paradigms are valid? Which one is better or sounds more literate?
    Good question Anatoli. I don't think many of us would have given much thought to this.

If we take भाई-बहन as a compound, I would say the following.

e.g. apne bhaa'ii-bahnoN se pahle puuchh lo. (Ask your brothers and sisters first.)

A politician in her/his speech would normally say भाइयो और बहनो (Brother and sisters)

< Previous | Next >