Hindi: it's getting colder these days

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
How to say "it's getting colder these days'' in Hindi?

Thand aur badh raha hai. Is this what I should say?

And when should I say "sardi"? Tumhe sardi nahi lag rahi hain?

• swatshak

Hindi/Urdu
    The simplest way to suggest "it's getting colder these days" would be "इन दिनों ठंडी बढ़ रही है" ("in dino ThanDi baDh rahi hai").

The word "sardi" is typically interchangeable with "ThanDi" (so it's perfectly alright to say "tumhe ThanDi nahi lag rahi?"), but one case where they aren't interchangeable is when "sardi" refers to cold/flu (i.e., "mujhe sardi ho gayi hai" -> "I have a cold").

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    The simplest way to suggest "it's getting colder these days" would be "इन दिनों ठंडी बढ़ रही है" ("in dino ThanDi baDh rahi hai").

The word "sardi" is typically interchangeable with "ThanDi" (so it's perfectly alright to say "tumhe ThanDi nahi lag rahi?"), but one case where they aren't interchangeable is when "sardi" refers to cold/flu (i.e., "mujhe sardi ho gayi hai" -> "I have a cold").
    Why is it "rahi" and nor "raha"?

amiramir

English-USA
    Re post nr 2, I feel silly for contradicting a native speaker, but I would have thought it's ठंड, not ठंडी -- with the former being a noun and the latter being an adjective.

Why is it "rahi" and nor "raha"?
    Because the nouns ठंड and सर्दी are feminine.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    Re post nr 2, I feel silly for contradicting a native speaker, but I would have thought it's ठंड, not ठंडी -- with the former being a noun and the latter being an adjective.

Ok understood.:) This musculine and feminine,we non- native just hate.:D

swatshak

Hindi/Urdu

You are correct, @amiramir. While ठंड refers to winter/cold-weather in general, and is therefore a noun, ठंडी is an adjective (specifically for feminine nouns). In colloquial usage, however, ठंडी is also used as a noun (as is evident in articles from various local newspapers, such as this one, for example.)

littlepond

Hindi
    "ThanDii" is used as noun too in speech: when one shivers and expresses how cold it is, one often prefers, for some reason, to say "ThanDii" ("baRii ThanDii hai aaj") - makes it feel colder. Thus, all 3 are fine: "tumhe sardii/ThanD/ThanDii nahiiN lag rahii?"

< Previous | Next >