Hindi: Maaf Karoo

< Previous | Next >
  • linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Hello,

Is is correct to say : Maaf Karoo ? If I need to apologise to someone from India?
    Dhaniyavaad, Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Om Shanti
    If you say "Maaf karoo?" (asking it as a question by raising your voice at the end), then it would actually mean "Shall I apologise?"/"Shall I forgive?".

If you want to apologise, you should say "maaf karnaa!" (small difference, but changes the meaning :p)

This is Hindi by the way ;) (and "maaf karoo?" is Hindi and Gujarati :D)

JAI GURU DEVA OM

CHILE
    Bohot Shukriya, but now I have another question from all this: What´s the difference between "Maaf Kar Do" and "Maaf Kar Naa"?

Is it just a "politeness" matter what makes the difference here?

Thanks again,

Om Shanti ;)

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Bohot Shukriya, but now I have another question from all this: What´s the difference between "Maaf Kar Do" and "Maaf Kar Naa"?

Is it just a "politeness" matter what makes the difference here?

Thanks again,

Om Shanti ;)
    As you said, it's the level of politeness.

"maaf karnaa" can be translated in two ways. You may know that in Hindi/Urdu, infinitives end in "-naa" - so it could be translated as "to forgive". But as a phrase, it is used to apologise to somebody - so it could be translated as a simple "Sorry"

"maaf kar do" to me sounds slightly more "desperate", as though you're saying "please forgive me" :p. You wouldn't say this just to mean a simple "sorry" in everyday situations, for example. The "-do" at the end is one of the ways to form the imperative. You would use this phrase if you've made a big mistake and want to apologise to somebody for it.

So I guess the difference is how "serious" your mistake is. :)

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Jai:

Maybe not my place to say, but I though maf kijie would be more appropriate, especially for a gora.
    gora? You mean a white person? Why would it be more appropriate? :confused:

In my opinion, both are fine. maaf kiijiye sounds slightly nicer to me actually, but maaf kar do is fine too. At the end of the day, they are both imperatives.
    An imperative that is written on a sign (eg. "Please close the door") would always have this "-iye" ending. This is probably why it sounds a bit "nicer" to me.
    To me maaf kar do sounds a little bit more as though you're "desperate" for the forgiveness, wheread maaf kiijiye is just like a polite request.

But I don't see how maaf kiijiye is more "appropriate" than maaf kar do.

panjabigator

Am. English
    You can say /maaf karo/ also, but not with a questioning tone. The is also an informal comand. /maaf kiijie/ is the most formal. /maaf kar/ is the most informal (sometimes rude).

< Previous | Next >