Hindi: Mandala

< Previous | Next >

Packard

USA, English
There is a toy whose origin I believe is in India. It is called a "mandala toy". I am guessing that this is a Hindi word. Can anyone tell me what "mandala" means.

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Wikipedia entry:
    Mandala - Wikipedia

Sanskrit dictionary definition

Dictionary searches for the modern Hindi/Urdu word maNDaal (मंडल / منڈل)

Caturvedi-Hindi:
    a circle; ring; zone, territory; board; orbit; the path or orbit of a heavenly body; halo; multitude, collection; each of the ten divisions of the Rigved.

Bahri-Hindi:
    1. circle [राजनीतिक political, सामाजिक social]; मित्र ~ -- of friends; ~ बाँधकर नाचना to dance in a --. 2. board; निदेशक ~ -- of directors; व्यापार ~ -- of trade; संसदीय ~ parliamentary --.

Wikitionary-Hindi:
    disc, ring, band, orbit (of a heavenly body), circle, division

Oxford-Urdu:
    circle, circumference, sphere; a round tent or house; (figuratively) the sky; the headman of a village

Packard

USA, English
    Wikipedia entry:
    Mandala - Wikipedia

Sanskrit dictionary definition

Dictionary searches for the modern Hindi/Urdu word maNDaal (मंडल / منڈل)

Caturvedi-Hindi:
    a circle; ring; zone, territory; board; orbit; the path or orbit of a heavenly body; halo; multitude, collection; each of the ten divisions of the Rigved.

Bahri-Hindi:
    1. circle [राजनीतिक political, सामाजिक social]; मित्र ~ -- of friends; ~ बाँधकर नाचना to dance in a --. 2. board; निदेशक ~ -- of directors; व्यापार ~ -- of trade; संसदीय ~ parliamentary --.

Wikitionary-Hindi:
    disc, ring, band, orbit (of a heavenly body), circle, division

Oxford-Urdu:
    circle, circumference, sphere; a round tent or house; (figuratively) the sky; the headman of a village
    Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

< Previous | Next >