Hindi: Piya aiso jiya men samaay gayo re

Panther writer

Hindi, Urdu
I know the piya is used to refer love interest. But I am curious to know is piya word referred to male gender only. Because what songs I have heard, the word piya is frequetly used to refer the male gender only.

By the way, the word piya is from the popular hindi song

Piya aiso jiya men samaay gayo re

from the movie "Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam"

For reference here is the complete lyrics: "Piya Aiso Jiya Men Samaay Gayo Re"

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Hello, @Panther writer , welcome to the forum.

I don't speak Hindi, but, in Channa Mereya (sung by Arijit SIngh and lip-synced by Ranbir Kapoor, both men, taking to Anushka Sharma, a woman) don't they say?

चन्ना मेरेया मेरेया, चन्ना मेरेया मेरेया
    चन्ना मेरेया मेरेया, बैलीया, ओ पिया
    पिया
    पिया
    पिया

And this is neither Sufi, nor "devotion to the master", nor a man singing from a woman's point of view, nor anything of the like.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    On the Internet, I see a lot of songs with titles in the line of "राधा तू है मेरी पिया", "मेरी पिया बिन रात कटेरी कैसे", et cetera.
    But I can't really tell if this is substandard or dialectal.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I know the piya is used to refer love interest. But I am curious to know is piya word referred to male gender only. Because what songs I have heard, the word piya is frequetly used to refer the male gender only.

By the way, the word piya is from the popular hindi song

Piya aiso jiya men samaay gayo re

from the movie "Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam"

For reference here is the complete lyrics: "Piya Aiso Jiya Men Samaay Gayo Re"
    Yes, in the song you have quoted, a female lover/beloved is addressing her male lover/beloved. "piyaa" is used for a male only, as far as I know. It's a masculine noun as in "meraa piyaa ghar aayaa". Other masculine nouns in this category are balaam, saajan, miit, priitam, premii etc.