Hindi: proper transliteration of izafat

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
I recently came across a nice, simple article explaining rules for izāfat constructions. And what called my attention is how it points out that transliterations using the (Latin) letter -e- to denote izāfat obscure the fact that in Urdu it is a fez. Which is true.

Now, I have been always using an -ए- in my Hindi transcriptions, e.g.: ताजदार-ए-हरम, नूर-ए-ख़ुदा, नज़र-ए-करम, et cetera.
Is this wrong?
Is there a more proper way to indicate izāfat in Devanagari script?

(Incidentally, Punjabi in Gurmukhi seems to use -ਇ , a short i, with a single hyphen, which would be more consistent with what the article says)

• desi4life

English
    Izafat constructions in Hindi can be written with -ए- or -इ- but are more often written with the े maatraa added to the preceding consonant. A common example is जानेमन

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Izafat constructions in Hindi can be written with -ए- or -इ- but are more often written with the े maatraa added to the preceding consonant. A common example is जानेमन
    Interesting! Thanks, @desi4life

I made a quick Internet search for the variants, and they are all amply represented, and even -ई-
    जानेमन............. 2,190,000
    जान-इ-मन........ 535,000
    जान-ए-मन........ 11,400,000
    जान-ई-मन........ 9,200,000
    (the fact that there was a popular 2006 movie with the -ए- spelling might be skewing the results).

desi4life

English
    Interesting! Thanks, @desi4life

I made a quick Internet search for the variants, and they are all amply represented, and even -ई-
    जानेमन............. 2,190,000
    जान-इ-मन........ 535,000
    जान-ए-मन........ 11,400,000
    जान-ई-मन........ 9,200,000
    (the fact that there was a popular 2006 movie with the -ए- spelling might be skewing the results).
    No, that's not correct at all. You have to put quotes around the words you search on Google to determine usage of the phrase. So you have to search the following:

"जानेमन"
    "जान-इ-मन"
    "जान-ए-मन"
    "जान-ई-मन"

And I will modify my previous answer about the े maatraa being used more often. I would say it depends on the phrase. In some phrases I've more commonly seen -ए-, for example.

Last edited:

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    You are right!
    These are the corrected numbers:

"जानेमन"........... 839,000
    "जान-इ-मन"...... 562
    "जान-ए-मन"...... 17,600
    "जान-ई-मन"...... 1 (plus this forum's question :p)

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindi
    I wanted to ask about ی + izaafat. In the article linked to in the original post by @MonsieurGonzalito, it says that when followed by an izaafat, ی gets treated like all other consonants except silent ہ --- ie, that you stick a zer under it.

On the other hand, Zakir's "Lessons in Urdu script" (page 32 of the PDF --- Lesson 10, Para 2) treats ی like silent ہ in that you stick a little hamza on top of it. It gives an example:

valii-e-kaamil = وَلیٔ کامِل

It seems like this is more common...? For example, the following compound shows up in this poem on Rekhta by Sahir Ludhianvi:

vaadii-e-xaamosh = وادئ خاموش

Are there two different conventions for forming izaafat with chhoTii ye?

Alfaaz

English
    aevynn said:
    Awesome, thank you Alfaaz ! Seems like the answer is "yes, there are two conventions."
    You're welcome. Yes, that seems to be the answer based on the discussion in the previous thread, the articles mentioned in this thread, as well as other sources where this topic is discussed.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Are there two different conventions for forming izaafat with chhoTii ye?
    Perhaps it's not the most obvious thread for this topic to continue, but there are actually more conventions in Urdu. If you are interested, you are welcome to revive the thread which @Alfaaz has brought to our attention.

< Previous | Next >