Hindi: Rishikesh

redpenka

Spain, Spanish
Hi!
I would be very pleased if somebody could help me with some hindi words. I am looking for the hindi words for different cities in India (such as Rishikesh, Haridwar, Kuri, Jaipur, Jaisalmer...) but I've been looking for them in Internet and I can't find them. I would appreciate if somebody can tell me where I can find these.
Thank you very much,
redpenka.

• Pivra

some of the names are in Sanskrit... which... as a Thai.. i can help for some of them

Rishikesh= Place of the Hermits
    Jaipur= Victorious City
    the rest Im not sure

Pivra

-Dharmashala in Himachalpradesh means the pavilion of Dharma
    -Sri Nagar means Glorious City
    -Manipura means city of gems
    -the state of Punjab is from persian means 5 waters (panj= five and ab= water)
    -Amritsar means the pool of the amrit water (a= un mrit= dead) means the pool of the water of immortality
    -Rajstan = place of the king
    -Uttrapradesh northern country

déme más nombres para traduccir por favor ...lol

Pivra

oh... how could i forget this .... Ayodhya

A = prefix for non, un yodha(yudha) means war or battle...

ayodhya means unfoughtable or unmatched

Jhorer Brishti

United States/Bangladesh English/Bengali
    Pivra's done a fine job. redpenka, only some of the names of cities are in Hindi. There is a different official language for every state in India and a whole host of dialects in between.

It would be nice if you wrote the main city names that you would like to have translated since there are so many it's a great chore to have to figure out the etymologies for all of them.

That being said, Pivra, Isn't Amrita the nectar of immortality(food of the gods..)? I didn't know it was holy water. In bengali when we muslims use Amrita to refer to a drink(invariably a drink.... Amrita in bengali is pronounced Omrit) we mean to say that the said beverage is divine and refreshing.

redpenka, just as an informational aside, Amritsar is the holy city of the Sikhs whose religion is a blend of Islam and Hinduism.. It's a somewhat contested territory as Pakistan is upset over getting the short end of the stick(at least in their view) from the partition..

As Uttarpradesh is Northern Province, Dakshin Pradesh to the very south of India, is the Southern Province.

aridra

India
    Jhorer Brishti said:
    As Uttarpradesh is Northern Province, Dakshin Pradesh to the very south of India, is the Southern Province.
    Apni bhool bhabhchen :) Uttarpradesh is the name of a state in Northern India, there is no state called Dakshin Pradesh or anything like that. There are 4 southern states, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka and they may be referred to as South India but never as Dakshin Pradesh.

Pivra

yes... nectar of immortality... and holy water... cuz i was made during the churning the milky ocean..(ksherasamudra) which the demons and the gods were fighting over the water of immortality.

wait..... what else... Allahabad is in Persian from the Place of God...
    Kathmandu the capital of Nepal means Wooden Palace ....if im not wrong Mandapa is an octagon shape pavilion.... as in Maha Mandap in Thailand is an octagonal shape library

the state of Bihar... came from Sanskrit's Vihara means temple due to its many temples and the ancient center of the Magadhi empire.

Himachal Pradesh probably means the country of snow......(not sure what the suffix -chal means... since its not very common in Thai)
    Madhya Pradesh means the central country... Madhaya is a Pali' form of Sanskrit's Majjhima which means middle..(im not sure is it the other way around since in Thai both works)
    Kolkatta ... sounds to me like Kalikath .... which is Sanskrit for the Place of the Goddess Kali

Jhorer Brishti

aridra said:
    Apni bhool bhabhchen :) Uttarpradesh is the name of a state in Northern India, there is no state called Dakshin Pradesh or anything like that. There are 4 southern states, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka and they may be referred to as South India but never as Dakshin Pradesh.
    Aamaar bhulTaa dhoraar jonno dhonnobaad!:) I don't know where in the recesses of my mind I retrieved that little fact from.. I still recall seeing a map of India which had the southern tip labeled Dakshin Pradesh.. Ahh well.. Maybe I just confused it with Andhra Pradesh. What does Andhra mean anyways?

Pivra, Interesting anecdote about ksherasamudra. Kalkaataa(Kolkaataa) in Shuddho Bhaasha bengali is Kalikata and does mean abode of Kali.. so good guessing on that one.. Before the British established their capital there it was only a minor fishing village...unbelievable now in the present day..

Even Dhaka(apart from being the capital of Bangladesh), known as the city of Mosques and Rickshaws, takes its name from the Dhakshineswaari
    Hindu temple near the center of the city. The name itself means temple of the hidden godess...

In Bengali both words for middle exist too. The most used(by our family anyways) is Maajkhaan but Madhyakhaan(Moddhekhaan), a variant(mostly heard in the speech of Indian west bengalis) exists too.. I would venture to say that your hunch is right, that Madhya is the Pali form while Maajhimaa is the classical sanskrit form since ironically(seeing as the majority of the people in BD are muslims) most Shuddho bhaasha(which clings more strongly to sanskrit) bengali words are retained in BD speech(since words are less apt to evolve in rural villages versus large and bustling cities like Kalkaata/Calcutta)..

redpenka

Spain, Spanish
    wow! thank you very much for all responses. All this information is very interesting! Even so, I maybe didn't express myself correctly (english is not my mother language), I'm sorry. What I am looking for are these words written in hindi alphabet, not with occidental letters.
    Some of them are:
    Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Punjab, Rajasthan, Khuri, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Shimla, Dehradun and Haridwar.
    Thank you very much, you are all so kind!
    redpenka

Pivra

surprise how pradesh in Hindi can means province... in Thai it means country...
    pra is an initiative prefix and desh is the root word for country.... or realm...

Pivra

i dont know lots of modern Indian cities and states name but i know lots of the "Mahajanapada" period kingdoms and cities cuz i needed to learn them when i was in middle school

Eg. Magadha.... first capital... Rajgriha... later moved to Patliputra(patna) to get a strong hold in the strategous spot to attack Vajji.
    Kosambi was the capital of Koshala
    Devasaha was the capital of Videha (now Ramgam in Nepal)
    Takshila the was the capital of Gandhara (now Islamabad) .. and of Greco Buddhist kingdom of Alexandria of the Caucasus
    lol....but dont ask me about modern India...

Jhorer Brishti

redpenka said:
    wow! thank you very much for all responses. All this information is very interesting! Even so, I maybe didn't express myself correctly (english is not my mother language), I'm sorry. What I am looking for are these words written in hindi alphabet, not with occidental letters.
    Some of them are:
    Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Punjab, Rajasthan, Khuri, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Shimla, Dehradun and Haridwar.
    Thank you very much, you are all so kind!
    redpenka
    Por desgracia no tenemos la escritura Devanagari(la que se usa para Hindi y algunos otros idiomas indicos) instalada en el computador. Lo que te recomiendo es que vayas a Wikipedia(www.wikipedia.org) y que escribas los nombres de las ciudades en inglés, usando la escritura romana. La página que te vendrá tendrá el nombre escrito en Devanagari al lado del nombre inglés para las ciudades principales. Khuri, Haridwar, Shimla, y Dehradun desafortunadamente no tienen los nombres escritos en Devanagari.

Al cabo de esta página:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrishikesh, encontrarás una caja en la que hay referencias a unas cuantas ciudades sagradas de la India. Tal vez te sirva de ayuda. Si tienes otras dudas por favor no te cortes!

Pivra, I thought that the region that was known as Gandhara during the reign of the Mauryas is today in Eastern Afghanistan. Gandhara was an ancient center of learning(major cities: Purushapur(Peshawar) and Takshashila(Taxila)) and was known for its strong Buddhist affiliations. It ceased to exist when Mahmood of Ghazni arrived with his muslim hordes and defeated King Jayapala(who later committed suicide).. Did Gandhara include parts of western Pakistan?

Pivra

Kamboj was more in Afghanistan ..... Gandhara .. the opposite... during the time of the dynasty before the Maurayans had their capital in Pakistan and only parts of their territory is in Afghanistan. But later after Mauraya dynasty was overthrowned by the Sunga dynasty (Hindu) unified India broked down. After the Kushan invaded (emp. Kanishka I) Takshila was later invaded many more times until it couldn't rise back to its former glory during the Greek's period again. The period right before the Sultan of Ghazni's invasion Gandhara's new capital was already at Bamiyan, Afghanistan.

< Previous | Next >