Hindi: slums

Birdcall

English - American
Is there a difference between a jhopadpaTTii/zhopadpaTTii (in MaraaThii), a bastii, and a chaal (Bombay Hindi, with retroflex L in MaraaThii)? They all sound like "slum/ghetto" to me. Though bastii sounds like it could just mean a settlement if its from basnaa.

• Subhash Kumar

Marathi
    jhopadpaTTii/zhopadpaTTii means slum.
    Bastii literally means any colony/settlement etc.
    ChaaL is NOT jhopadpaTTii. ChaaL is typically a building with small (usually two room one of which is kitchen) "apartments". There usually are 5 to 10 or even more than that such "apartments" on one floor. The building could have one or many floors (as tall as 5 floors). They are well constructed buildings with proper drainage etc. There is a small bathroom in each apartment; but the toilets are usually common; one or two or more each floor.
    Socially, the ChaaLs are often occupied by middle class (labour class or even people in white collar professions) as against jhopadpaTTiis.

Birdcall

English - American
    Thank you for the very thorough answer. I read the word "chawl" in an English-language book and the word was meant to mean a slum, but I thought a chaal was a specific type of building, like you said, so I was confused. Is a kholi also a type of house?

Subhash Kumar

Marathi
    Thank you for the very thorough answer. I read the word "chawl" in an English-language book and the word was meant to mean a slum, but I thought a chaal was a specific type of building, like you said, so I was confused. Is a kholi also a type of house?
    Kholi literally means a room in Marathi. Usually, kholi is also used to represent an "apartment" in a chaaL/chawl.
    e.g. I have a kholi on the second floor of this chaaL.