Hindi: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, Hebrew

albondiga

English/USA
How would one say the names of each the the above 5 languages in Hindi? For the first 4, would the same words be used for the nationality represented (like in English)?

(Incidentally, if anyone could point me in the direction of a decent online English-Hindi dictionary that would be great!)

Thanks!

• PianoMan

United States, English
    I have no skills in Hindi whatsoever, I wasn't sure what the title of this meant at first, but I'm sure Wikipedia can be helpful when you type in "Hindi" and scroll down to their list of links. Also search Google for a "hindi-english" dictionary and see what shows up. If you live in a large enough city, I'm sure the main library's bound to have something.

albondiga

English/USA
    I have no skills in Hindi whatsoever, I wasn't sure what the title of this meant at first, but I'm sure Wikipedia can be helpful when you type in "Hindi" and scroll down to their list of links. Also search Google for a "hindi-english" dictionary and see what shows up. If you live in a large enough city, I'm sure the main library's bound to have something.
    oops, I should've been more specific, I meant one that can handle transliterations; I've already found a bunch of H-E dictionaries in the past by Googling, including one that supposedly can handle transliteration, but either it's not very good or my transliteration of Hindi sounds is not always perfect (or both:), though most of what I tried to translate with that dictionary was actually transliterated by native speakers and it still failed more often than not...)

स्पेनी - Spanish
    पुर्तगाली -Portuguese
    इतालवी- Italian
    फ्रांसीसी -French
    यहूदी - Hebrew

Do you need the transliteration as well?
    Yes, that would be great, I'm really just learning a bit of Hindi for speaking rather than reading, so although I've been exposed to the Devanagari characters I've yet to memorize them all to actually be able to read... so the transliteration would help; and also, do you know the answer to my second question above? (regarding whether the word for the nationality is the same as the word for the language... I'm especially wondering whether there's anything happening with portuguese/portugali...) Thanks...

purtagālī
    spēnī
    itālavī
    phrānsīsī
    yahūdī

I am not sure about nationalities but I think all you do for that is simply put का निवासी- kā nivāsī after the word.

I will give the links to the dictionary in the Resources Thread as soon as I find it. I think I know one so I`ll do it tonight.

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Setwale Charm is right :)

Just watch out though - if somebody said "yahuudii" to me, I would think he/she is saying "jewish". Make sure you somehow "explain" that you actually mean Hebrew hehe :D

In Urdu, when we speak of the Hebrew language, we actually say "yahuudiyoN kii zubaan" (the language of the jews).
    In Hindi it would be "yahuudii bhaashaa" most likely. That's what I would say anyway.

albondiga

English/USA
    Thanks Setwale and linguist!

So I'm not familiar yet with the word "nivāsī" and can't even tell what part of speech it is (real beginner here)... if I wanted to say "I'm not Portuguese," would I say "main purtagālī kā nivāsī nahī hoon"? if I wanted to say "a Portuguese man," would I say "purtagālī kā nivāsī admī"? Are there extra words there (is the "nivāsī" extraneous or wrong there?), and are those words in the right order?

Also, how would the countries Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy be said in Hindi? Could one say simply "main [Spain/Portugal/France/Italy] kā nahī hoon" (I'm not Spanish, etc.) or does that sentence need an extra word or two?

(Also, given those circumstances of the word "yahūdī", which obviously comes from the Hebrew/Arabic word for "Jew", I'm curious as to how one would say "Israeli" in Hindi... similar to how it's said in English?)

Thanks!

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    if I wanted to say "I'm not Portuguese," would I say "main purtagālī kā nivāsī nahī hoon"? Are there extra words there (is the "nivāsī" extraneous or wrong there?), and are those words in the right order?
    In my opinion, "kā nivāsī" is a bit.. superfluous. You would very very rarely hear "main purtagālī kā nivāsī nahī hoon" if you simply wanted to say "I'm not Portuguese" (that sentence is perfectly formed, by the way)

"main purtagālī kā nivāsī nahī hoon" in my opinion is the equivalent of saying "I was not born and bred in Portugal". "nivāsī" implies you were born in that country and was brought up there. You wouldn't hear somebody say that if you were simply wanting to say "I'm not Portuguese". You would just say "main purtagālī nahī hoon" (I'm not Portuguese)
    with the word "nivāsī" and can't even tell what part of speech it is
    It's an agent noun. "person of country X", so to speak
    if I wanted to say "a Portuguese man," would I say "purtagālī kā nivāsī admī"?
    I certainly wouldn't! "purtagālī admī" is sufficient.

Also, how would the countries Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy be said in Hindi? Could one say simply "main [Spain/Portugal/France/Italy] kā nahī hoon" (I'm not Spanish, etc.) or does that sentence need an extra word or two?
    Yes, that's perfectly well-formed.

"main [Spain/Portugal/France/Italy] kā nahī hoon" literally means "I am not of (wherever)"

.. or of course you can use the adjectives (main purtagālī nahī hooN = I am not Portuguese)

Both are fine.

(Also, given those circumstances of the word "yahūdī", which obviously comes from the Hebrew/Arabic word for "Jew", I'm curious as to how one would say "Israeli" in Hindi... similar to how it's said in English?)
    Israeli would be "Israaylii"

< Previous | Next >