Hindi, Tamil: Ghajini

< Previous | Next >

mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
Greetings friends,

There is a film in both languages by the name of "Ghajini". Does this word have a meaning? Is it the same as "Ghaznii" (ग़ज़नी), which is the name of a city?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    mundiya Jii, from what I have been able to find out is that "Ghajini" is the name of one of the main characters in the film. On the net, people have mentioned that "Ghajini" was an emperor who tried several times to succeed and he finally achieved his goal. No one has said where this emperor came from and what his goal was.

At another place someone says that the word should be Ghaznii and that it is an Arabic word and name of a Mughal emperor. We know that there was no such "emperor".

Regarding "Ghaznii" or "Ghaznah", this is indeed a city in Afghanistan from where several important historical figures originate from. I am just guessing now but if Ghajini is "Ghaznii", then it may refer to Mahmood Ghaznavii (Mahmood from Ghaznii/Ghaznah) whom you would no doubt know about.

littlepond

Hindi
    "Ghajini" plays a negative character in the movie; there's no obvious link to Mahmud of Ghaznavi (whom most of us call as Mahmud Ghaznii), but since Mahmud of Ghazni has been always a very reviled and hated character in Indian history and culture, it might be that that's why the negative character in the film has been named after him. What's strange is that the film is named after this character, as the film is heavy in Aamir Khan's role (playing Siddharth): probably, it was to keep a name that sticks in memory. Which it certainly has.

Gope

Tamil
    mundiya Jii, from what I have been able to find out is that "Ghajini" is the name of one of the main characters in the film. On the net, people have mentioned that "Ghajini" was an emperor who tried several times to succeed and he finally achieved his goal. No one has said where this emperor came from and what his goal was.

At another place someone says that the word should be Ghaznii and that it is an Arabic word and name of a Mughal emperor. We know that there was no such "emperor".

Regarding "Ghaznii" or "Ghaznah", this is indeed a city in Afghanistan from where several important historical figures originate from. I am just guessing now but if Ghajini is "Ghaznii", then it may refer to Mahmood Ghaznavii (Mahmood from Ghaznii/Ghaznah) whom you would no doubt know about.
    There is no gh in Tamil, and no z either. And Mahmood of Ghazni in Tamil history books is known as gajini muhammad, and is popularly remembered as having made repeated incursions into India. It is usual for Tamil speakers to invoke his name by way of banter when a student makes repeated attempts to pas an exam, that's all. :)

mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    Many thanks everyone!

Gope jii, since the original movie is in Tamil, do you think the title "Ghajini" is a reference to Mahmud of Ghazni and his repeated attempts?

< Previous | Next >