Hindi: to lean

Lika Brown

Armenian-Armenia
Dear friends,

Lookin for a word "to lean".

Scenario: Dont lean on the wall, it is dirty.
Scenario 2: You can lean on my shoulder if you want to sleep.

Thanks,

• Fk313

Hindi and Urdu
    To lean can have many different meanings in Hindi/Urdu butbin your first scenario you can say:
    Deewar(wall) pe mat jhuko(lean) woh saaf nahi/gandee hai.

In your second scenario I would say:
    Mere kandhey(shoulder) pe sar(head) rakh do agar tumhe neend(feeling sleepy) aarahi hai toh.

Lean = Jhukna
    Jhukna can also have other meaning like to bow down or bend or we also use jhukna if we give up on a certain situation.

Dirty = Gandee like you pronounce Gun+D or Saaf nahi hai both mean dirty.

Alfaaz

English
    Another option (depending on the exact context and usage of to lean in the English sentence being translated): Tek lagaanaa
    • don't lean against (something) - ____________ se/par Tek nah lagaa'o/lagaa'eN!

Maharaj

Bundeli, Hindi, Urdu, Marathi
    Scenario: Dont lean on the wall, it is dirty.
    Diwar se tiko mat wo gandi hai (Verb: Tikna)

Scenario 2: You can lean on my shoulder if you want to sleep

This expression is used in Hindi as: Tum mere kandhe pe sar rakh ke so sakte ho, agar sona ho toh.

There are two words meaning to lean in Khadi Hindi/Bundeli spoken in our bundelkhand region:
    लूमना(Loomna), लोहरना(Lohrna)
    "दीवार पर लुमो/लोहरो मत"

these words mean leaning on something touching your upper body part to it, putting almost all your weight on it. I invite @aevynn and @Alfaaz to verify it and tell us if these are spoken in other regions as well.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    I don't think I have heard either of these words, but luumnaa is listed here in Platts:
    H لومنا लूमना lūmnā [lūm˚, prob.=S. लम्ब; cf. lom, 'base'], v.n. (rustic) To depend, hang low, lower (as clouds).

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Quite right with regards to the suggestions above another is lagnaa, i.e. "deewaar se lago mat, woh xaasii mailii/gandii hai."