Hindi-Urdu: अफरना, उभरना

< Previous | Next >

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
Hi,

I was surprised to discover that my Hindi dictionary lacks उभरना but contains अफरना. Do they mean the same thing in Hindi? I have never heard the latter in Urdu (but the former is extremely common).

Thanks!

• Alfaaz

English
    Ali Smith said:
    I have never heard the latter in Urdu (but the former is extremely common).
    اپھرنا is present in Urdu as well, but usually appears to be used with negative connotations - numbers 2 & 3 in the Urdu Lughat entry.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    ubharnaa is far more common than apharnaa on either side of the "divide," I think. I've never heard the latter used in speech either. I apparently ran into it in writing at some point since I seem to have recorded it as a vocabulary item for myself, but I can't remember where it was that I encountered it... In any case, most examples I see when I search the internet for usages of apharnaa seem to be in the context of bloated stomachs, such as the following:
    peT aphar rahaa hai, baiThaa nahiiN jaataa.​
    - Premchand, sangraam
    mumtaaz ne ... itnaa paanii piyaa ki peT aphar gayaa.​
    - Saadat Hasan Manto, xaalid miyaaN
    "liijie ek roTii aur, ye garam hai, wo ThanDii ho gaii ho ga'ii hogii."​
    "bilkul nahiiN, peT aphar gayaa."​
    - Udayraj Singh, unknown work [ie, I can't tell from the Google Books snippet]​
    uskaa peT aphar gayaa hai, ko'ii davaa de do.​
    - Ashok Kaushik, muhaavaraa-lokokti kosh

But, besides this, I did also see some examples in contexts involving haughtiness:

use taraqqii kyaa milii ki wo ghamanD se aphar gayaa.​
    - lok-bhaarati hindii kriyaa kosh
    ... aur apnii duniyavii daanish par 3abas aphartaa hai...​
    - Martyn, The New Testament Translated Into The Hindoostanee Language (specifically, the above phrase occurs in the translation of Colossians 2:18)​
    Anyway, it seems not exactly synonymous with ubharnaa.

< Previous | Next >