Hindi, Urdu: bakar bakar

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

The song "Genda Phool" is a song by the rapper Badshah, where this individual, as usual in the genre, boasts about his amatory prowess.
(BTW the chorus of the song is a ripoff of a folk Bangla song of the same name)
The lyrics are quite vulgar. At some point, they go:

lage miiThii jaise shakkar shakkar
aa ja chalaa le chakkar chakkar
baaqii ke lauNDe bakar bakar

I am intrigued by this expression in particular "bakar bakar"

the best translation given says: "while the other guys keep talking", and in the video clip, the singer also makes the typical open-and-close hand gesture of empty talk.
But I couldn't find this "bakar bakar" in any dictionary. The closest was this Lughat entry, which apparently means "untouched / virginity"
And nothing at all in Hindi.

So what is it? Let's start an affair while the rest of the boys "keep talking" or stay "untouched"?

[If anyone is interested, the "bakar bakar" part happens at 1:34 in Youtube]
[also, a large minority of the lyrics websites choose "pakar pakar" instead, which I also can't find]

Thanks in advance for any help

• littlepond

Hindi
    "bakar bakar" (or sometimes "bakr bakr") is a common expression in Hindi used to indicate disdain for someone's talking. When you are saying that someone is doing "bakar bakar", you are implying that the other person is spouting nonsense. "bak bak karnaa" is also very common with the same meaning but it's less violent (disdainful) than "bakar bakar".

Note that "launDaa" means "laRkaa", which means a boy, and just as in English, "boy" can also be used to mean a teen or young person or a son of someone (even if older), etc. Hence, the translation should be something like "the constant chatter of other boys". The corresponding word for girl is "launDiyaa". Both are vulgar words, especially the latter, but also used heavily in normal talk in western UP.

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    I forgot to mention, @MonsieurGonzalito jii, that if you were to want use a verbal form for "bak bak karnaa", it is "baknaa". A sentence like "kyaa bak rahaa hai?" can be extremely rude/insulting.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    Perhaps I'll add a minor grammatical observation to @littlepond's very thorough answer, since the lyrics you quoted don't really show any grammatical function, and since I like syntax :) I think bakar-bakar functions both as a feminine noun and as an adverb. For instance, it's an adverb in wo bakar-bakar bole jaa rahaa thaa (loosely, "He just kept on spewing nonsense"), and it's a feminine noun in maiN uskii bakar-bakar sunkar tang aa chukaa huuN (loosely, "I'm tired of listening to his nonsense").