Hindi-Urdu: Causative of gaanaa

amiramir

English-USA
Silly question, but presumably the causative of gaanaa is gavaanaa? And gavaanaa doubles as 'to lose'? (as in the Punjabi: meraa laung gavaachaa)?

I was saying something the other day: I had her sing a song, or something like that, and what flew out of my mouth was: Usse ek gaanaa gavaayaa -- but then I questioned myself, as it's a verb I have probably never uttered in my life, and it sounds (I think?) like 'to lose.'

• littlepond

Hindi
    The causative is "gav-vaanaa" (not "gavaanaa", which would be to lose something).

Your sentence would be "Us se ek gaanaa gav-vaayaa".

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    The causative of "gaanaa" (to sing) is "gavaanaa"

To lose something is "gaNvaanaa"

littlepond

Hindi
    The causative of "gaanaa" (to sing) is "gavaanaa"

To lose something is "gaNvaanaa"
    Yes, that's right, to lose something is "gaNvaanaa". As for the causative of "gaanaa", it's both "gavaanaa" and "gavvaanaa", and in my experience the latter is used more often.

Qureshpor

Yes, that's right, to lose something is "gaNvaanaa". As for the causative of "gaanaa", it's both "gavaanaa" and "gavvaanaa", and in my experience the latter is used more often.
    Can you provide any reference for "gavvaanaa"? As for "gaNvaanaa", Caturvedi has " गवाँना gavā:nā: (v) to lose; to waste; to suffer detriment." also.

amiramir

English-USA
    Thank you, both.

You've both written gaNvaanaa, but the devanagri गवाँना implies gavaaNnaa, no? Otherwise wouldn't it be: गँवाना or गंवाना ?

Qureshpor

Thank you, both.

You've both written gaNvaanaa, but the devanagri गवाँना implies gavaaNnaa, no? Otherwise wouldn't it be: गँवाना or गंवाना ?
    गँवाना gaṁvānā [cf. gamayati], v.t. 1. to allow to be lost; to lose (a thing). 2. to lose, to miss (a road). 3. to waste, to squander (as money, time, opportunity). (McGregor)

गवाँना gavā:nā: (v) to lose; to waste; to suffer detriment. (Caturvedi)

It seems, in Hindi there are two variations, gaNvaanaa AND gavaaNnaa.

Qureshpor

In written, it's usually "gavaanaa"; it is the spoken Hindi (in at least western UP) that uses "gav-vaanaa" a lot.
    Thank you. I searched for "gavvaanaa" in Devanagri script on the net and got just one result and that was for a dog's name!:)

< Previous | Next >