Hindi, Urdu: haaN, maanaa

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

What is the value/grammar of "maanaa" in the following phrase?

haaN, maanaa
is duniyaa kii huuN hii nahii
maiN apnii hii duniyaa banaauNgii

It is from the generic, unremarkable coming-of-age song "Ek Zindagi" of the 2020 Indian movie "Angrezi Medium".
Is maanaa used:
  • as a particle, equivalent to "maano" == "granted, let's assume that" ?
  • "manaa" as the verbal root of manaana?
  • an imperative?
  • as a participial adjective (the singer is, obviously, a woman): "It is understood"?
  • some other form of "man(a)na" ?
What would be the "dictionary form"?

[in the official Youtube video=05DrDxjMEbU, 0:30]
Thanks in advance for any hint

[P.S]: along the song, this phrase is repeated several times, with different heading words: haaN, maanaa ... / ki(h) maanaa ... / haaN ki(h) maanaa ....

• littlepond

Hindi
    If anybody knows some Ancient Greek, is similar to what happens with οἶδα - Wiktionary ?

i.e. a verb in perfect tense meaning "I have experienced" idiomatically translated in present tense as "I know (out of own experience)"?

Just checking ...
    I don't know ancient Greek, but even in English, one comes close to such things: the "maanaa" here is almost the "given that" of English ("given that X, Y happens"). The "given that" of English also has a presentness feeling to it.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I don't know ancient Greek, but even in English, one comes close to such things: the "maanaa" here is almost the "given that" of English ("given that X, Y happens"). The "given that" of English also has a presentness feeling to it.
    Both Urdu and Hindi do use the past tense to imply present meaning. The past tense provides a sense of "over and done with! samjhe?

baiTho nah duur ham se dekho xafaa nah ho
    qismat se mil ga'e ho mil ke judaa nah ho

merii kyaa xataa hai hotaa hai yih bhii
    kih zamiiN se bhii kabhii aasmaaN mil gayaa

ya3nii..

kih zamiiN se bhii kabhii aasmaaN mil jaataa hai

< Previous | Next >