Hindi-Urdu: haunted

amiramir

English-USA
Hello,

For me a haunted house was always a bhootiyaa ghar, but the other day (in reference to a tree) I heard bhoot-haa peD, which was a new word for me.

Are they interchangeable for native speakers?

Also, I rewound a few times to double check, but it sounded like the people on TV did not decline bhoot-haa into the oblique bhoot-he for the phrase 'on the haunted tree' with pe. Is it one of those words that really ends in ـہ in Urdu script and hence doesn't decline? Also I googled bhootiyaa ghar mein, and found quite a few undeclined instances.

Thanks

• Alfaaz

English
    amiramir said:
    For me a haunted house was always a bhootiyaa ghar, but the other day (in reference to a tree) I heard bhoot-haa peD, which was a new word for me.
    I don't think I've come across the words you've mentioned being used in Urdu. bhoot-bangla is certainly used for haunted house.

aaseb-zadah (آسیب زدہ) is generally used for haunted.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    I did once encounter bhut'haa (rather than bhuut'haa) in writing, though the latter does evidently turn up hits. The sentence I transcribed into my notes used bhut'haa in the direct case, so I'm not sure about whether it'd be typically used declinably or indeclinably. Google evidently turns up hits for both declinable and indeclinable usages.

Hindi2Dictionary entry for भुतहा
    Urdu Lughat entry for بھُتہا