Hindi, Urdu: introducing direct speech

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

In the song "Khoya Khoya Chand" (from the 1960 "Kala Bazar" movie), something happens twice, which called my attention, grammatically speaking.
The narrator switches the person and introduces direct speech in a way that seems weird to me.

khil khil gaii yah dil kii kalii
man kii galii meN hai khalblii
ki unko to bulaao
o o o, khoyaa khoyaa chaNd ...

And later in the same song:

chaaroN taraf ishaare cale
kisii ke to ho jaao
o o o, khoyaa khoyaa chaNd ...

The translator solves this elegantly by saying " a commotion that I must call for her" and "all around go signals that I must become someone else's".
But that is not what's really going on there.
"unko to bulaao" and "kisii ke to ho jaao" are commands, in direct speech, to a 2nd person (you): "Summon her!" "Become someone else's!".
Or perhaps subjunctive used as conditional: "you should call for her", "you should become someone else's".

But never "I must", and never in indirect speech o_O . I don't know, maybe I am missing some grammatical point here.

Is "to" fulfilling some secret function there, or it is in both verses just for meter/emphasis?

Bottom line, do the verses in bold sound natural/correct to a competent speaker?

• marrish

اُردو Urdu

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Oh, I needed to find the proper grammar term: "Indirect quotation" (A Primer of Modern Standard Hindi, by Michael Saphiro, chapter 30)
    Relevant points:

- the کِہ / कि nexus is sometimes elided
    - Hindustani tends to introduce reported speech using the actual verb and subject said, without the change in deixis European languages do.

So the song is grammatical, and the translation, accurate.

Thanks @marrish, @Alfaaz !

< Previous | Next >