Hindi, Urdu: japtaa huN maalaa

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

In "(Bala) Shaitan Ka Sala)" a simple but catchy song from an otherwise forgettable Hindi movie franchise called "Housefull", a mischievous medieval Rajput king called "Bala" sings the praises for himself and his evilness. In the song, it says that everyone calls him the "Bala (brother-in-law, buddy) or the devil", that he is mischievous, etc.
But then, one verse says:

lūTo lūTo lūTo lūTo japtaa huN maalaa

What does this mean? The translation says "I meditate and steal from people", which doesn't make any sense to me.
(BTW I don't know if this is relevant, but I found maalaa as "garland", and in one of the video clip's scenes he is wearing and tossing around his neck a collar made of fireballs).
Please orient me.

• Jashn

Canadian English
    mala is also a rosary, the beads used when performing devotions, often worn around the neck or wrapped around the wrist. A Hindu mala usually has 108 beads, and one might repeat a mantra dedicated to a particular deity while meditating on the deity (e.g. Om namah shivaaya / prostrations to Shiva) as a part of devotional activities, going from bead to bead till you have gone across the whole rosary. There are many different mantras, some more abstract than others. Some people would try to repeat a particular mantra a fixed number of times (e.g. 10 malas, 10x108, a lakh malas, 100kx108, etc.) because it is considered purifying, it builds a relationship with that divinity, or it helps to realise a particular truth, or to expiate sins/bad karma, etc.. It can form a core part of some people's daily religious practice.

I haven't heard the song and don't know the context, so with that caveat, I get out of it:

'steal, steal steal (in the imperative)- I read the rosary'.

Seems like he's excusing the theft because he performs expiatory devotionals?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >