Hindi-Urdu: Just because+clause

amiramir

English-USA
Just because -- is this simply 'sirf kyoNki?' I googled hit but didn't come up with many hits, so I thought maybe there's a more idiomatic way of saying it.

Examples:

- Just because someone jumps off a bridge, do you have to as well? Sirf kyoNki koi pul se (koodta?) hai, kya aapko bhi karna hai?
- Just because someone speaks Hindi well, it doesn't mean his/her English is bad. Sirf kyoNki koi achchii tarah se Hindi bolta hai, iska matlab nahiiN ki uski angrezi xaraab hai.

Thank you.

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindi
    I think just using something along the lines of ... kaa ye matlab nahiiN ki... conveys essentially the same nuance, at least in the example sentences you have in mind.

1. koii agar pul par se chhalaang lagaa raha hai to kyaa iskaa ye matlab hai ki tum bhii lagaaoge?
    2. koii agar achchhii hindii boltaa hai to iskaa ye matlab nahiiN ki use angrezii nahiiN aatii.

In other contexts, "just because" might be expressed using something like bas is(ii)liye. Eg, for "they hate us just because..." you could do something like wo hamse bas isliye nafrat karte haiN ki...

I don't know if that's an exhaustive list of the possible kinds of usages of "just because." And, it's probably worth hearing others' thoughts about this, but sirf kyoNki sounds like a fairly awkward and forced translation of "just/only because" to me.

amiramir

English-USA
    Many thanks. I agree re: sirf kyoNki sounding a bit tortured. This was very helpful, thanks again, esp. the 'bas isliye'

littlepond

Hindi
    Actually, "sirf kyoNki" works perfectly fine in your example sentences, @amiramir, and I would use them in fact. The sentences with "kaa matlab yeh nahiiN ki" are also fine, but longer-winded, and I and people in my milieu (western UP) use them less frequently. They are more rhetorical: so when some drama is needed, of course, then we go with "matlab yeh nahiiN" type. "sirf kyoNki" on the other hand is more angst-ridden, more sharp.

"bas" in fact is a very useful word in such cases. I could have as easily used "bas kyoN ki koii pul se chhalaaNg lagaa le, tumheN bhii kudnaa hai?" Similarly, "bas agar koii hindii achchhii tarah boltaa hai, yeh to nahiiN ki uskii angrezii kharaab hai!" In @aevynn's sentence no. 2 as well, I would put "bas" in front of "koii", otherwise it feels one is reading from a textbook, not speaking the living language.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >