Hindi/Urdu: Khwab

Au101

England, English (UK)
Hi, a friend of mine was wondering about the spelling of the Urdu word 'khwab' (as in 'dream') when written in Devanagari by Hindi speakers. We both think it would be ख्वाब, but he wasn't sure whether or not क्वाब would be acceptable, for pure simplicity. I would also be very interested to know how ख्व would actually be written on paper, simply because, even though I was happy to remove the line on the ख, this could, surely, be slightly unclear. Certainly, it is not a consonant conjunct I've seen in regular use and I was interested to see how a native Hindi-speaker would write it. If anybody knows how to spell it in Urdu, as well, I'd be interested to see how it would be done.

Thanks a lot,
Au101

• panjabigator

Am. English
    Someone will post the Devanagari soon, I'm sure. In the meanwhile, here is the Urdu: خواب.

(Sorry I can't comment on your Devanagari - the characters are not displaying).

PG

Birdcall

English - American
    I've only seen it written as ख़्वाब or ख्वाब in Devanagari, never without the (silent) va. I think most Hindi speakers who use words with the silent va do not realize it's silent (except for khush which is spelled ख़ुश/खुश), for example in Mumbai I hear khwaahish (ख़्वाहिश) pronounced as khwaish (ख्वइश).

Anyways khwaab is not nearly as common as sapnaa in Hindi.

Birdcall

English - American
    Au101, क्वाब would not work at all. The initial sound is either a guttural fricative kha or it is 'Indianized' to an aspirated kha, never just a ka

Au101

England, English (UK)
    Thank you everyone. Thanks, Faylasoof, for the link, it made for interesting reading, but I'd still like to see how it would be written. Also, I completely agree with you Birdcall, thanks for confirming it, however, my friend was wondering if people would right क्वाब, but not pronounce it that way, simply because that would be easier to write.

MARSJO

Hindi
    is there any way to add an mp3 file with the pronunciation, or is there a link I can look up, is the K in Khwab silent?

Jashn

Canadian English
    If you go here and click on the sound image (mid-page, to the right), you'll hear the word pronounced. I hope that helps.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Yes, but one still hears the older pronunciation خواب xvaab from Urdu speakers. I shall try to find an example. If I remember rightly, the famous singer Talat Mahmood, pronounced it in this manner. I shall double check if I can.

Type in Youtube, Ye khvaab saare abhi jo aanhon mein so rahe hain_Nazm_Ziya Farooqi..... and you will hear xvaab.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >