Hindi, Urdu: kis khet kii muulii

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

I can gather that

tuu kis khet kii muulii hai?
(you are a radish from which field?)

is something derogatory used to counter or diminish the other person in an argument.
My question is: that derogation is based on what?

- on the other person being inferior?
- on the other person having no business or relation to the conversation in question?
- all of the above?

what would be a good English equivalent?
"And ... who are you, again?" "who the heck do you think you are?"

• Jashn

Canadian English
    Perhaps my imagination is overactive, but perhaps aspersions are being cast on his/her parentage? i.e., we don't even know where you're from?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Could be.
    I found a video in Youtube [RKCWqkSsziA] where a gentleman explains it means "what is your worth?"

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Trying the above in Devanagari:

किस खेत की मूली है: कम हैसियत आदमी के लिए, यह कल्मा हिक़ारत से बोला जाता है, कि भुला उस की क्या, किया हैसियत या औक़ात है.

So: "you have a lower status, don't forget your station"

littlepond

Hindi
    It means that you're asking someone who are you, what station do you occupy, that you are ... (telling me this, etc.). So basically the "muulii" (radish) here signifies a big shot, and the speaker is wondering what kind of a big shot you are (to tell me this, etc.).

The intention of course being to say that you are a nobody to tell me this. It doesn't imply "lower status" always.

It's a very commonly used expression in Hindi. It can also be used with other subjects (not just second person), of course: for example, "voh kis khet kii muulii hai ..."

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    Trying the above in Devanagari:

किस खेत की मूली है: कम हैसियत आदमी के लिए, यह कल्मा हिक़ारत से बोला जाता है, कि भुला उस की क्या, किया हैसियत या औक़ात है.
    Small correction: ... कि भला उस की क्या हैसियत या औक़ात है।

Jashn

Canadian English
    Out of curiosity, is there any reason why muulii/radish is used to signify the big shot? It's not something I'd generally associate with the good life, but there's probably some reason I'm not aware of. :)

< Previous | Next >