Hindi, Urdu: Kya se kya hua

Pokeflute

English - American
Heads up: swearing/bad language

The song "Bhaag DK Bose" has the following lyrics:
Oh by god lag gayi
Kya se kya hua

A few questions:
1. The first line is translated as "Oh by god I was screwed/damned". Is "lag gayi" commonly used to say "I was screwed" ? If so, what would the full sentence be?

2. I'm having trouble understanding the second line. Could someone please help me out - why is it not "kisse kya hua"?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am afraid I am not into this kind of music. What you have to ask is this. What does "lag ga'ii" refer to. I doubt very much if it means "I was screwed"!

PS. If you are trying to learn Urdu from songs, then may I recommend that you listen to Muhammed Rafi songs. You will more often than not listen to great poetry but also the clarity of delivery surpassing even Frank Sinatra!

littlepond

Hindi
    1. The first line is translated as "Oh by god I was screwed/damned". Is "lag gayi" commonly used to say "I was screwed" ? If so, what would the full sentence be?

Yes, one would translate the Hindi phrases "us kii to phaT paRii" or "us kii to lag gayii" as "he's screwed". "merii to lag gayii" would of course mean "I am screwed". ("I was screwed" would be "merii lag gayii thii".)

As for what is "lag gayii", that's the Marathi-Gujarati word "vaaT" - which usually means "road, way, path" or "wait" (noun). (Also used in Hindi to mean "road", but not that common these days. The present-day phrase is Marathi loanword, rather.) "merii to vaaT lag gayii" is the complete phrase.

Here is a Marathi dictionary entry:
    वाट लागणें Be consumed, expended. वाट लागणें Dispose of.

2. I'm having trouble understanding the second line. Could someone please help me out - why is it not "kisse kya hua"?

"kyaa se kyaa huaa" or "kyaa se kyaa ho gayaa" means literally what has happened from what: basically, a big transformation in the state of affairs. "kis" can mean "which" or "who", so it cannot work here.

amiramir

English-USA
    kyaa se kyaa huaa" or "kyaa se kyaa ho gayaa" means literally what has happened from what: basically, a big transformation in the state of affairs.

Yes to the above. When I first read OP's question , what immediately came to mind is the nusrat qawwali (laterally made famous once again by Atif Aslam) sochta hun ki vo itne maasoom... the chorus is 'Kyaa se kyaa ho gaye dekhte dekhte. The entire song illustrates the point about transformation. @Pokeflute do give it a listen. The Atif Aslam remake is lovely as well, which is unusual, and probably more accessible from a language standpoint.