Hindi/Urdu: nalkaa vs. ToTii

• Abu Talha

Urdu
    I don't know what basis there is for this :)

but I use nalkaa for an indoor faucet and TuuTii for an outdoor hose bib, but I wouldn't find it strange if I heard them being used interchangeably.

By the way I say (and hear) TuuTii not ToTii.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    A scenario where the words might not be used interchangeably: nalkaa can refer to hand pump while Tuu(N)Tii could be used to refer to the outlet/spout/nozzle on the whole apparatus.

littlepond

Hindi
    Same meanings as Alfaaz jii has given here, for me, except that I use "ToTii", not "TuuTii". For indoor tap, I use "nal".

Edit: Meant "ToNTii", not "ToTii". The latter is a pejorative word for handicapped person.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am of the view that "nalkaa" is Punjabi for a hand water-pump. I think it may have come from the Urdu "nal kaa"(paanii) [pipe water] as opposed to ku'eN kaa paanii/nadii kaa paanii/daryaa kaa paanii.

ToNTii is a tap linked to the nal. (In Punjabi, the word is TuuTii).

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    Qureshpor said:
    I am of the view that "nalkaa" is Punjabi for a hand water-pump. I think it may have come from the Urdu "nal kaa"(paanii) [pipe water] as oppose to ku'eN kaa paanii/nadii kaa paanii/daryaa kaa paanii.
    Platts lists the following:
    H نلکا नलका nalkā , s.m. (dialec.)=nalwā, q.v.
    H نلوا नलुआ naluʼā, or नलवा nalwā [Prk. णलअं or नलअं (with व inserted); S. नलकं], s.m. A small tube or pipe;—a joint of a bamboo (in which letters are conveyed, &c.);—a straw; a stalk; stubble.
    Qureshpor said:
    ToNTii ... (In Punjabi, the word is TuuTii).
    Both Platts and Farhang-e-Aasifiyyah do list the word as ToNTii, which means Feroz-ul-lughaat must either have a typo here or might be representing a non-standard pronunciation...!?

desi4life

English
    That doesn't exclude nalkaa from being of Punjabi origin. Several words have been borrowed from Punjabi over the centuries, in addition to those borrowed more recently. McGregor, in fact, considers it to be a loan from Punjabi: The Oxford Hindi-English dictionary

nalkaa is probably derived from Sanskrit/OIA nalikaa "tube" and unlikely to contain the postposition kaa.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    desi4life said:
    Alfaaz said:
    That doesn't exclude nalkaa from being of Punjabi origin. Several words have been borrowed from Punjabi over the centuries, in addition to those borrowed more recently. McGregor, in fact, considers it to be a loan from Punjabi: The Oxford Hindi-English dictionary

nalkaa is probably derived from Sanskrit/OIA nalikaa "tube" and unlikely to contain the postposition kaa.
    Thanks for the additional information and reference. (There was no intention of negating the possibility of nalkaa being of Punjabi origin. The Platts references were only listed as another opinion, since Qureshpor appeared to express uncertainty.) Yes, it is correct that there are loanwords from Punjabi, a few of which have even been discussed in this forum as well.

< Previous | Next >