Hindi, Urdu: politician

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

What would be a register-neutral word for "a politician"?

As in, for example:

saNdeh hai ki is [x] ne sach kahaa ho

raajnetaa?
siyaasat-daan?

• aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    While I'm perfectly happy with poliTishan, it's probably worth pointing out that just netaa is probably much more common/colloquial than either raj-netaa or raaj-niitigya -- so much so that it does still occur in written Urdu (eg, this short story by Manto).

[Besides the point, but your example sentence might be mujhe shak hai ki(h) is [x] ne sach nahiiN kahaa hai: (1) The sentence sounds incomplete without the dative "subject," (2) shak is significantly more colloquial than sandeh, and (3) the sentence sounds better with a negative indicative rather than an affirmative subjunctive complement.]

Last edited:

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    (3) the sentence sounds better with an indicative rather than subjunctive complement.]
    Oh, I was intending to say something in the line of:

"It is doubtful that this politician has/had/[whatever the subjunctive is en English] said the truth".
    (Not that I personally doubt it).

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In Urdu it is almost always siyaasat-daan in every day speech and media. Politics is always siyaasat.

littlepond

Hindi
    Note that the usual pronunciation is "pauliTishian," not "poliTishan" (mentioned by @desi4life jii and @aevynn jii). Otherwise, agree with posts 2, 3 and 5, though "netaa" is heard in Dakkhani Urdu at least, so it's not only "siyaasat-daan" in Urdu (though politics in Urdu is always "siyaasat").