Hindi, Urdu: ruaaN

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
Friends,

The following are the opening verses of the song "सय्यारा" (Planet). The context is irrelevant, except for some general feeling of love against adversity.
Does anyone know what ruaaN means in the last verse?

आसमान, तेरा मेरा हुआ / ख्वाब की तरह धुआँ धुआँ
आसमान, तेरा मेरा हुआ / सांस की तरह रुआं रुआं

The translation normally given over the Internet is ... "smoky, smoky"/ ... "in pieces, in pieces".
I looked for all variations I can think of r - u - a - (N) remotely meaning "piece", to no avail.
(As a matter of fact, the only रुआं is Rouen, the capital of Normandy :p)
Any suggestions, please?

• MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Actually, now I remember: "rom rom teraa nam pukaare / ek hue din rain hamaare ".
    (Every pore/particle of mine ...) It is the same!

Jashn

Canadian English
    I wonder if the translation of 'ruaan' as 'smoky' is not an error where the translator has confused it with the word 'dhuan'? Except for the first letter, they're exactly alike, and in both cases, the first letter is articulated using the tongue against the top front teeth. Probably a translator was rushing and made the error.

And thanks for sharing. I didn't realise that these words are synonyms. In addition to ruan and rom, it seems also rungTaa is a synonym in the right context.

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    Well, the singer says clearly "ruaaN", even though I agree it does sound somewhat weird as an (adverbial) circumstantial complement.
    Unless there is an idiomatic use of "ruaaN, ruaaN", my attempt at translation would be something like:

The sky became yours and mine
    the way dreams do: in smoke, in smoke

Last edited by a moderator:

Jashn

Canadian English
    Oh gosh, my post makes no sense. I was in the bus on the way home and somehow I misread your opening post. In any event, I got the ruan and rom connection correct, thanks to both Alfaaz and you, and thanks again for that! :oops: :)

And I like your translation. ;)

< Previous | Next >