Hindi, Urdu: sach-jhuuTh

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

Is "sach-jhuuTh" the same as"jhuuTh-sach" (misrepresentation), or it is actually the opposite, something like "the truth (out of a lie)"?

For example:

- iNsaan ke sach-jhuuTh kii pahchaan hai aaNkheN -- this is from a song, "us mulk kī sarhad kō"

- vah jantaa ko shikshit karne se lekar us tak sach-jhuuTh kii vaastviktaa ko saamne laane kaa suutrdhaar rahaa hai

- In the last paragraph of this BBC article, titled "sach-jhuuTh kii machine", I believe it is used to mean "a lie detector", in the context of a court case riddled with falsehood.

I wonder if the English phrase "true lies", i.e., something that is uttered as a lie but somehow becomes true, would also be translated as "sach-jhuuTh".

• littlepond

Hindi
    "sach-jhuuTh" simply means "truth and lies": the "aur" is often (not always) elided. For example, one could as easily have said "insaan ke sach aur jhuuTh kii paihchaan ..."

(Note that it's not "pahchaan"!)

What do you mean by "jhuuTh-sach" meaning misrepresentation? Could you give an example please?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    What do you mean by "jhuuTh-sach" meaning misrepresentation? Could you give an example please?
    I don't know, it is in Platts (under झूठ)
    —jhūṭh-sać, s.f. Invention, fabrication, misrepresentation, calumny:—jhūṭh-sać lagānā (-ko), To misrepresent, to calumniate

littlepond

Hindi
    I don't know, it is in Platts (under झूठ)
    —jhūṭh-sać, s.f. Invention, fabrication, misrepresentation, calumny:—jhūṭh-sać lagānā (-ko), To misrepresent, to calumniate
    I thought you yourself have understood "jhuuTh-sach" well, since you mentioned it with some confidence in the OP, that's why I asked you. It seems you were only quoting a dictionary definition. It's more "fabrication" rather than "misrepresentation," though of course sometimes the latter can fit the bill. "jhuuTh-sach" has some "sach" and a lot of "jhuuTh" added in.

< Previous | Next >