Hindi-Urdu: sajnaa / saajnaa / saajhnaa etc.

Faylasoof

English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
This thread starts from here.

janaab 3ziiz dosto.n,

hum log apne aSlii 3unwaan se door hote jaa rahe thhe. is wajah se mai.n ne ek nay reshe / taage / dhaage ba naam-e-<sajnaa / saajnaa / saajhnaa etc.> kaa aaghaaz kar diyaa hai.

aap sab kaa kyaa khayaal hai? mai.n to kahtaa hoo.n:

yalghaar ho!!

mukhlis,

FLS

Dear BP Ji
"Jis ka kaam usi ko saaje- aur kare to Tthun Tthun Baje". The work suits in the hands of the one skilled to do it. If someone else does it, he's sure to mess it up. ....Like it is used in the sentences "Ye kameez tum par bahut sajti hai".

This is how we all use <sajnaa = to suit> in both Hindi and Urdu.

This sajna(which is different from Sajna- meaning Balma, Saajan, Lover/Husband) is the one which has Fabna(Fabti) and Janchna(Janchti) as synonyms.

BK, why are you writing one with a small <s> andtheother with a <S>. Does Hindi distinguish beteen the two sounds?

This is closer in meaning to "Sajna" in Sajna-Sawanrna which means "to be decked up", like the bride does or when women dress up to go for attending a marriage etc.
Saaje used in the idiom here may be spoken in Awadhi/Bhojpuri, I am not sure, only Fay can say( wow! it rhymes).

Yes, saaje is used in Awadhi - yu oopa bahoot saaje howay = this really suits him/her.

PS: bakshi mia.n if you start calling me "Fay" people will take me for a woman! Perhaps we should change to FLS!! Nice and short! How about that guys? In fact I've already started!

Last edited:
  • Faylasoof

Thanks PG! Actually, my upgraded Mozilla Firefox can't recognise Nagri!! It is appearing as a series of boxes with numbers inside!

... and just to add to what BK said in the other (linked) thread, about <sajna= balma, saajan= Lover/Husband)>, you hear them all in Awadhi folk songs, e.g.:

kaa karoo.n sajni aawe naa baalam

or

hamrao baalam jagaay deo nanadi* (* Nandi - Shivji's mount).

Last edited:

bakshink

punjabi
    Dear Mr. FSL You should be happy that someone hasn't called you "Fa" or you could be contesting not to be likened to a bottle of a shampoo or a cake of soap. And you never know PG and BP have the wit to suggest "Fail" or "Spoof". FSL seems Ok like Fail Safe Limited a "fail safe" company in these days of recession. [P.S. No intention of undermining others wits but can't list the whole "biradri/sisteradri!!"]
    "Hamrao baalam jagaay deo nanadi". Is there a pun in it, a mischievious oblique referrence or it's a "double entendre"?
    Can by any chance "nanadi" mean woken me up from sleep?
    Sorry small and big "s" were not intended to be different.
    Dear PG in Punjabi too this word 'Sjna" exists. And also as Saj reya si, "Tainu sajje ga". Sajje also means "On the right side". O hale sajda paya hai- He is yet decorating up. This sjada is different from "sajda" in Urdu. The problem with Punjabi is that every word/sentence has two meanings.

Last edited:

Faylasoof

Dear Mr. FSL You should be happy that someone hasn't called you "Fa" or you could be contesting not to be likened to a bottle of a shampoo or a cake of soap. And you never know PG and BP have the wit to suggest "Fail" or "Spoof". FSL seems Ok like Fail Safe Limited a "fail safe" company in these days of recession. [P.S. No intention of undermining others wits but can't list the whole "biradri/sisteradri!!"]

.... now it is my turn!

Dear Mr. BK, you should be pleased that it is <BK> I've opted for you and not BS! I shouldn't have to explain, I'm sure.

.... and please, it is baradari / baraadari -- comes from <baraadar = brother in Farsi>

"Hamrao baalam jagaay deo nanadi". Is there a pun in it, a mischievious oblique referrence or it's a "double entendre"?
    Can by any chance "nanadi" mean woken me up from sleep?
    Sorry small and big "s" were not intended to be different.

I feel it is a pun! All part of the fun!

FLS - yes, it is this and not FSL as you read.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Sajnii is the term used for a female sweetheart and saajan for a male but where does sajnaa fall, is it gender neutral or expressly for one or the other? Btw are these terms Indic that are also used in Punjabi or Punjabi terms that have passed onto other Indic languages?

bakshink

punjabi
    Sajanna or saajan is used for male. In Punjabi they are not used often but many words Hindi words are used and accepted in Punjabi. I think the word Sajanna and Sajani have evolved from "Sajjan" which means a gentleman.
    साजन साजन पुकारूँ गलियों में, कभी काँटों में ढूंढूं कभी कलियों में....From a song from a movie of the same name

सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    ज़रा उलझी लटें संवार लूँ
    हर अंग का रंग निखार लूँ
    कि, सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    .............from a movie named Saudaagar

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    Sajanna or saajan is used for male. In Punjabi they are not used often but many words Hindi words are used and accepted in Punjabi. I think the word Sajanna and Sajani have evolved from "Sajjan" which means a gentleman.
    साजन साजन पुकारूँ गलियों में, कभी काँटों में ढूंढूं कभी कलियों में....From a song from a movie of the same name

सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    ज़रा उलझी लटें संवार लूँ
    हर अंग का रंग निखार लूँ
    कि, सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    सजना है मुझे सजना के लिए
    .............from a movie named Saudaagar

Interesting that you would say that, as far as I have gauged their usage, whilst saajan tends to be a masculine term, sajnaa perhaps is a gender-nuetral term used for both men and women. An example being the song Bole ChuRiiyaaN in Kabhi Xushii Kabhi Gham where both the men and women refer to each other as saajannaa. A women would seldom refer to a man as sajnii, if ever, and nor would a man refer to a women as saajan. Yet sajannaa and sajnaa appear to be gender-neutral, at least in songs and literary usage.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would say that "sajan", "saajan", "sajanaa" are used for the male and "sajnii" for the female. sajanaa is merely the vocative of "sajan/saajan".

maiN 3aurat huuN us kii vuh meraa sajan
    salaamat rahe mard-i-gulshan-i-chaman

Mina Masto'ii (1635)

Tuk zamiin par qadam rakho saajan
    aaj naqsh-i-charan nahiiN dekhaa

Siraj Aurangabadi (1739)

shab biitii chaaNd bhii Duub chalaa, zanjiir paRii darvaaze meN
    kyoN der ga'e ghar aa'e ho, sajnjii se karo ge bahaanah kyaa?

Ibn-i-Insha (1927-1978)

Last edited: