Hindi, Urdu: shaNbhuu bholaa

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

What or who is a "shaNbhuu bholaa"?
It appears in the following stanza of the song "do kaa chaar", of the recent Bollywood movie "Chaman Bahaar"
The idea is that some bethel shop owner falls in love with a young woman living in front of him, and starts comparing himself unfavorably to her, in order to praise her.

tuu raaj dulaarii
maiN shaNbhuu bholaa
tuu man mohinii
meraa bairaagii cholaa

One translation site I found suggests "a simpleton"
Do Ka Chaar - Bollywood Song Lyrics Translations

The video clip has the particularity of showing what seems to be the stylized, relevant Devanagari letters of each verse.
For "shaNbuu bhoola" it shows

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.22.34 AM.png

which perhaps suggests "शैम्बू" or something like that, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• littlepond

Hindi
    If you do not give the time in the video at which the words come up, it'd be difficult to answer. Not many here to the kind of songs you listen to.

Without listening to the song, I can only answer that it might be referring to someone simple of heart (not simpleton), as Shiva (Shambhu) is also called "bholenaath" or "bhole baabaa", for being easily pleased with devotees.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    If you do not give the time in the video at which the words come up, it'd be difficult to answer. Not many here to the kind of songs you listen to.
    I am sorry, in v=4kSAlidErb8, 0:52

Yes, I saw the Shambu reference, but it is confusing because he seems to be diminishing himself, rather than comparing himself to a god.
    Maybe it means someone who is god-forsaken or something?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    It is because of his innocence!
    Innocence is one of Shiva's attributes, isn't it? He grants boons to people (like Ravana) who don't always deserve them.

littlepond

Hindi
    ... but it is confusing because he seems to be diminishing himself, rather than comparing himself to a god.
    Hindu gods, unlike the Abrahamic God, are not perfect: they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The concept of a perfect being (a "Creator") does not exist in mainstream Hindu thought. Hindu gods are just endowed with more powers and a much longer life than ordinary mortals. So there is often no aggrandisement involved in comparing oneself with a god.

Thanks for introducing me to the film through this song, by the way: if I get time, I might watch it if it's a film and not a series.

It is because of his innocence!
    Innocence is one of Shiva's attributes, isn't it? He grants boons to people (like Ravana) who don't always deserve them.
    Not exactly innocence, but rather being easily pleased is one of Shiva's attributes, and hence one of his names is "shambhu". Another name is indeed "bholenaath", referring again to this, but the word "bholaa" means someone who is innocent or gets easily taken in. By extension, the word is also used for a simpleton. Here, in the song (I've now watched it), the meaning (though they have used "shambhu" instead of "bholaa") is indeed in the sense of a simpleton, that is, a boy who wouldn't know the wiles of a sophisticated girl, who has simply fallen head over heels for her.

Here is a Sabdasagare entry:
    शंभु śambhu संज्ञा पुं० [सं० शम्भु] १. शिव । महादेव । २. ग्यारह रुद्रों में से एक जो प्रधान रुद्र हैं । विशेष दे० 'महादेव' और 'रुद्र' । ३. रामायण के अनुसार एक दैत्य का नाम । ४. एक वृत्त का नाम । जिसके प्रत्येक चरण में १९ वर्ण होते है; और उनका क्रम इस प्रकार होता है—स, त, य, भ, म, म और ग (IIS, SSI, ISS, SII, SSS, SSS, S) । ५. ब्रह्मा । ६. विष्णु । ७. सफेद आक । ८. पारा । ९. ऋषि । संत । तपस्वी (को०) । १०. एक प्रकार के सिद्ध (को०) । ११. बुद्ध (को०) । १२. अग्नि (को०) ।

Note that it was no accident that the beloved comic character Shikari Shambu (of Tinkle) was named as such, though the comic built his character with some additional qualities: Shikari Shambu was an Inspector Clouseau (Pink Panther) type of character, rather, boastful and foolish and easily taken in, though managing to arrive at the desired-for conclusion at the end of each story.

< Previous | Next >