Hindi, Urdu: soniyaa

desi4life

English
"soniyaa" in Hindi and Urdu means beloved or sweetheart. Is "soniyaa" derived from the word "sonaa" (gold), ie. sonaa (gold) > soniyaa (golden one ~ beautiful, handsome ~ beloved, sweetheart)? Alternatively, is it derived from the Punjabi word "sohneyaa" (or "sohniyaa"?), which I believe has a similar meaning?

Thanks

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I did not know that "soniyaa" in Urdu and Hindi means "beloved or sweetheart". This is the first I am hearing about this meaning. I have always thought "Sonia" was a "Western" name.

sohNRaa (m) and sohNrii (f) in Punjabi means good looking, pretty or beautiful but it is not related to the name "soniyaa" as far as I know.

desi4life

English
    Sonia in Western usage is derived from Greek Sophia “wisdom”. The Hindi/Urdu usage appears to be unrelated. “soniyaa” is used in several songs. Kindly listen to “sun zara soniye” (film: Lucky) and “kah do na, you are my soniya” (film: Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham). Do you believe this use of “soniyaa”/“soniye” is derived from Punjabi?

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Sonia in Western usage is derived from Greek Sophia “wisdom”. The Hindi/Urdu usage appears to be unrelated. “soniyaa” is used in several songs. Kindly listen to “sun zara soniye” (film: Lucky) and “kah do na, you are my soniya” (film: Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham). Do you believe this use of “soniyaa”/“soniye” is derived from Punjabi?
    Ok, in th first song the word is "so(h)NRiye" (feminine vocative-Punjabi). In the second one, I am hearing the words, "You are my soNRiyaa" (which does not make sence) but I assume the implication is "merii soNRii", again Punjabi feminine....for "You are my beauty".

MonsieurGonzalito

Spanish
    What makes even more nonsensical "You are my soNRiyaa" in K3Gham, is that it is a man (Hrithik Roshan) singing that to a woman (Kareena Kapoor).

Frau Moore

Deutsch
    Not so nonsensual IMHO, cause he sings "kah do na, kah do na you are my soNRiyaa", that means he asks her to call him so, therefore a masculine soNRiyaa would be fitting, don´t`?

Frau Moore

Deutsch
    I just wonder if a vocative would fit into the English sentence...........no....... "Call me soNRiyaa" - yes. "You are my soNRiyaa" - no. I don´t know any Punjabi so I rely on your definition of "soNRiyaa" as vocative! Or is it the "pet name" variation of "soNRaa? If not, I guess they used soNRiyaa cause the rythm of the line just needed this "iy" syllable.............kah do nah you are my soNRa woudn´t work rhythmically

< Previous | Next >